Diversification good or bad?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by oraclewizard77, Jan 22, 2009.

Diversification is the holy grail.

Poll closed Feb 1, 2009.
  1. Stay Diversified

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Concentrate your portfolio in just a few stocks.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Stay with Cramer

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Way too many polls here on ET

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. %%
    That;
    + actually SPY tends to be one of the better averages/benchmarks. LOOK how few beat SPY over 10 years...........................................................................................

#101     Feb 19, 2020
  2. deaddog

deaddog

That is probably more a function of portfolio management rather than diversification.

I do use spy as a benchmark and have been lucky enough to outperform since I changed strategies after the tech wreck.

#102     Feb 19, 2020
  3. John_09

John_09

That's true, but people often fail in this part. Many don't take diversification seriously.

#103     Mar 29, 2020
  4. deaddog

deaddog

How is your well diversified portfolio portfolio doing during this latest melt down?

Has diversification helped?

Portfolio management and market timing have.

#104     Mar 29, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  5. Teryc20

Teryc20

Diversification does help but yes a lot of other things need to be managed well too. Only diversification alone wouldn't help always.

#105     Apr 8, 2020
  6. johnny62

johnny62

it is always. it is like hedging. it is good for you.

#106     Apr 15, 2020
  7. bulls95

bulls95

Exactly. Its always a good and safe idea. Spreads your risks.

#107     Apr 21, 2020
  8. tradenet

tradenet

However people need to know how much to diversify. Over diversification is bad too.

#108     Apr 28, 2020
  9. ironchef

ironchef

Very sage post.

In this downturn, everything is correlated and all went down in flame together.

Portfolio Management, what is that? Care to expand on it?

Market timing is a special skill only a few have and I don't so this is a moot point for me.

#109     Apr 30, 2020
  10. deaddog

deaddog

I have a simple method of portfolio management. I don't hold losing stocks in my portfolio.

So in this downturn as the individual positions hit breakeven or broke a long term trend line they were sold.

Right now I'm ahead of the game, but the way the market is rebounding maybe not for long. I'm ahead 12.5% of where I would have been had I not gone to cash.

#110     Apr 30, 2020
    ironchef likes this.