Distinguishing between retracements & reversals

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by arzoo, Nov 24, 2003.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Correct. "Intra" means within.

#11     Nov 24, 2003
  2. Boomer

Boomer

is that a macd histogram at the bottom of your chart example? thanks for the details.

#12     Nov 24, 2003
  3. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

That is a Fisher....but if your charts do not have it......MACD is pretty close to it.:)

#13     Nov 24, 2003
  4. when a retracement is deeper "than it should be", it has a good chance to be a reversal.

DTP

#14     Nov 24, 2003
  5. Using this by it self is heavely dependent on the type of trend your looking at.

#15     Nov 24, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

That's why it's difficult to keep it simple.

Define your terms, determine what you're willing to risk, then follow your rules every time until you have proof they require modification.

#16     Nov 24, 2003
  7. There are 2 methods I know of without indicators. One is when the recent support on a 3-5 min chart is also broken. This means the market sometimes needs to sell off more. Another is when it breaks a 75-80%retracement mark and has trouble going back up. Then it stalls and falls.
    Some really good candle readers use reversal bars to get in. Then use trend lines and tight stop at the recent high (plus a little). Then just treat it like a retracement and yet ride it to maximize the gains. Also if it's hit a number that's a big resistance level, higher chance that it might be a reversal.
    Hope it helps and hope I made it clear.

#17     Nov 24, 2003
  8. arzoo

arzoo

Thanks Db,

You've always been very helpful. I have a question in relation to S/R levels or even with pivots. On days when these levels are very close to each other (maybe 4pts or so apart on the NQs) do you treat your setups differently knowing that the next resistance/support level is close by on the upmove/downmove?

#18     Nov 25, 2003
  9. Thats exactly right. I should have quantified my statement by adding that I only consider a deeper retracement to be a potential reversal when ADX is over 40.

DTP

#19     Nov 25, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I look at all S/R as zones rather than specific prices, but that has to do with the setups I use. You may find it necessary/useful/desirable to use specific prices. If the whole S/R situation is especially muddy, however, I tend to stand aside and wait. A clearer setup generally presents itself.

If this is a continuing problem, I suggest the use of filters. If you like MACD, don't trade unless the MACD is doing something in particular, or the histogram is outside a certain range. If you like stochastics, don't trade if the one you've plotted is between 70/30, or 80/20, or whatever. If you use ADX, don't trade if it's under 20. Or over 60. Or whatever. Or volume is less than some level. Or the bars overlap too much. Point is to prevent yourself from seeing something that isn't there just because you're bored, or because nothing has been happening for too long and you see potential activity where there really isn't any.

#20     Nov 25, 2003