Disqualified from a job because of a book I didn’t read

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by WallstYouth, Dec 27, 2005.

1. I agree that you need good people in your company. Good people can communicate with others and are generally pleasant to be around. ....after these two items are satisfied the candidate needs to have the capacity for original thought and problem solving.

...Rather than the behaviour of continuous naysaying you need the candidate to exhibit a balance of positive contribution and critical analysis.

#91     Dec 30, 2005
  2. Tomcole:

Are you having a bad day trading or is something else bothering you? All of your posts are on this thread are antagonistic.

#92     Dec 30, 2005
  3. jim c

jim c

its not just this thread...hes very bitter about something. jim

#93     Dec 30, 2005
  4. tomcole

tomcole

Not bitter at all - I just respond in a forthright manner to comments made here.

Every employer makes a pitch of hiring the "best and brightest" but as this thread shows and most companies P&Ls show, most companies embrace mediocrity as a way to maintain stability and job safety.

I'm not advocating hiring brilliant yet disturbed folks, just saying when you hire, "... someone a slight notch below who is normal and easy to work with than someone who is a constant problem. That 0.1% extra is probably just not worth it. Sorry, but that's the way it is in life....", its a sure way to be mediocre.

The writer states he can only attract folks 0.1% above average/normal. To me, statistically, thats insignificant and means he just hires average people and will only get average results. Whats so special about that?

#94     Dec 30, 2005
  5. umm, so I'll bite cuz I'm dumb and uneducated....

How is "Mozart" spelled wrong?

- The New Guy

Whoops, I see you corrected it for him in your post. The incorrect use of quotes threw me off.... :D

#95     Dec 30, 2005
  6. A manhole is round because it's the only basic shape that CANNOT fall through the ground at any angle.

#96     Dec 30, 2005
  7. Well nothing can really fall through the ground unless you drop it from a high building and it dives right through the asphalt so the shape does not matter....

#97     Dec 30, 2005
  8. nlslax

nlslax

The best answer overall was...
    The manhole cover is round because the manhole is round.
    Makes installation easier vs a star shaped manhole.

I wonder how Ed Norton would have answered this question.

:p

#98     Dec 30, 2005
  9. You mean that a Square manhole cover couldn't fall through if inserted vertically and/or diagonally? It can.

Try droppng a round manhole cover vertically through a hole in the ground of the same size at ANY angle. It cannot fall through.

#99     Dec 30, 2005
  10. Ahh so now you made a hole in the ground huh....

#100     Dec 30, 2005