Disillusioned

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BertH, Jul 16, 2006.

1. I dont know about everyone else here but I never use more then 2:1 margin. I do hold overnight positions though. I doubt anyone can trade over 4:1 margin and stomach the drawdowns. If someone can achieve less then a 5% drawdown in equity with over 4:1 margin then I have alot to learn still. But honestly I dont think this is achievable by too many :)

#161     Jul 25, 2006
  2. Cheese

Cheese

Amusing.

However 'day trading for a living' is a self defeating prescription. Instead trade only to make your pile. The difference is not understood at ET. Or in fact it is a difference that ETers do not want to understand.
    :)

#162     Jul 25, 2006
  3. SteveD

SteveD

CANSLIM is not a " system" as normally thought.

It points out companies that have increasing revenue, increasing profits, and increasing institutional ownership. Combine this with a relative low float and you get a HANS.

I have a friend who was in HANS at 40, she told me about it when it was 80. I thought is was too extended. It went to 200!!
    She got out at the top. Had 3500 shares. Do the math.

A trader has to be careful as there are a lot of stocks that fit and most of us have limited capital.

I would suggest you learn the CANSLIM method and then modify it to suit your personal style.

Remember O'Neill has a huge institutional following of clients. We trade "traders".

Also, Dan Zanger uses a modified version of O'Neill.

Just my 2 cents worth

SteveD

#163     Jul 25, 2006
  4. BertH

BertH

toby, you might end up being right (about my being better off doing something else in the end), but I think you should read what I stated more closely. I actually de-emphasized the importance of becoming rich through trading. If it's something one is pursuing for a full-time goal, I would think the insistence on getting rich--especially anytime soon--would be a hindrance to surviving.

#164     Jul 25, 2006
  5. Are you kidding? I have a normal career, and time for relationships and health is not more than it would be being a trader. What kind of career are you thinking about - hairdressing?

#165     Jul 25, 2006
  6. taowave

taowave

I think if you read between the lines,the poster was day trading and isolating himself in front of a screen,most likely in his own house....

If thats what you are doing and knocking the cover off the ball,thats great..But if you are earning sub t-bill rates or less than buy and hold,he is 100% right..imho

#166     Jul 25, 2006
  7. Have u tried the AIM system. I day trade the eMini but have a couple stocks for my grandkids that i use the AIM. Its more long term investment program but buys low and sells high. If you are interested look up Robert Lichello or AIM.:cool:

#167     Jul 25, 2006
  8. Frank Sinatra Song - That's Life!

That's life (that's life), that's what all the people say
    You're ridin' high in April, shot down in May
    But I know I'm gonna change that tune
    When I'm back on top, back on top in June

I said that's life (that's life), and as funny as it may seem
    Some people get their kicks stompin' on a dream
    But I don't let it, let it get me down
    'cause this fine old world, it keeps spinnin' around

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king
    I've been up and down and over and out and I know one thing
    Each time I find myself flat on my face
    I pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life (that's life), I tell you I can't deny it
    I thought of quitting, baby, but my heart just ain't gonna buy it
    And if I didn't think it was worth one single try
    I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king
    I've been up and down and over and out and I know one thing
    Each time I find myself layin' flat on my face
    I just pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life (that's life), that's life and I can't deny it
    Many times I thought of cuttin' out but my heart won't buy it
    But if there's nothin' shakin' come this here July
    I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball a-and die

My, my!

http://www.extractando.com/entretenimiento/musica/Sinatra_ThatsLife_I.htm

#168     Jul 25, 2006
  9. Dustin

Dustin

If you have a $200k and are using 2:1 margin to make a living then that's excellent, but if you are talking about a $20k account then yes, you have a lot to learn still.

#169     Jul 25, 2006
  10. Would like to gather information for the above.

Any pointers would be appreciated. TIA.

#170     Jul 25, 2006