Discretionary vs. Quantitative

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Pension_Admin, Nov 25, 2009.

Pick one! Thanks!

1. Discretionary

44 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Quantitative

36 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. I don't like discretionary or quantitative.

How about some more options?

C) Social Networking/Insider Information Trader
    E.G. Steve Cohen

D) Ponzi Schemer
    E.G. Bernard Madoff

#11     Nov 25, 2009
  2. The word, aluminum, do you pronounce it "ah-loo-min-num" or "al-loo-min-nium"? If it's the latter, then leave now. :cool:

#12     Nov 25, 2009
  3. Syprik

Syprik

Think it's important to point out that there is a difference between quantitative and mechanical. One can approach the market as a discretionary quant or a mechanical quant.

For ex, is it accurate to label John Paulson as simply "discretionary"? The guy that crafted and developed the subprime mortgage trade and put Paulson on the map, was Paolo Pellegrini. He has a highly quantitative macro approach when addressing the OTC/mortgage markets.

You then have highly successful traders who have dozens of mechanical strategies at their finger tips, but it requires a discretionary process to know when to put what strat in the market.

Personally consider myself quantitative, while using mechanical systems to churn out entry/exit/risk etc criteria. Manually enter/exit market.

#13     Nov 25, 2009
  4. Thank you for the clarification!

Just to further clarify, what I mean by discretionary trading, in this poll, is no complex math at all when making entry and exit decision.

When complex math is in the decision-making equation, it is a quantitative trading strategy.

#14     Nov 25, 2009
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Agreed..

If one can’t quantify what one is doing – then one sure as hell will have a hard time reliably repeating it

PA,

With respect to complex math – I strive for KISS in all matters trading related – why muddle things up

Happy & Safe Thanksgiving All

RN

#15     Nov 25, 2009
  6. RN,

KISS is what I strive for as well. I don't know much complex math. Math equation looks like a bunch of smilies to me ( :p :( <3 lol )

However, I think those complex math do help a trader with the emotion of trading. It gives a trader confidence in their entry and exit, and also help endure drawdown period.

PA

#16     Nov 25, 2009
  7. #17     Nov 25, 2009
  8. Of course the latter, just like what most of the world calls it:

http://www.webelements.com/aluminium/

#18     Nov 25, 2009
  9. Superman? He is too fast for me to follow. With his speed, he'll most likely be a scalper doing 1,000,000 transactions a day.

#19     Nov 25, 2009
  10. #20     Nov 25, 2009