Lets say you have 2 traders. One wants to learn to trade a discretionary style. His approach is 80% rule based but the other 20% will rely on intuition, past experience, and other intangibles that can not be programmed into a machine. Important areas of study for this guy are money management, psychology, market characteristics and reading charts. The other guy want to be 100% mechanical. He's looking to create a system (or systems) that could run 100% on its own. Things like psychology are not important to the mechanical trader. Instead his focus is on programming, backtesting, and math concepts that will help him develop a system capable of churning out results without giving any thought to what the paper projects for the tech sector. Which trader is more likely to succeed? Who will probably make more money?