Discretionary Trading Rules - The Recording

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JigsawTrading, May 12, 2020.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Please ignore my prior questions...

I've now found the references that were used in the video involving SpiNNaker (super computer).

https://singularityhub.com/2018/11/19/the-million-core-spinnaker-supercomputer-is-up-and-running/

By the way, my Psycho Therapist made reference to a super computer but she didn't name it...she once worked with a lot of professionals in the financial markets. I now know what super computer she was talking about and sort'uv forgotten about it until I watched your video.

wrbtrader

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    #11     May 12, 2020
  2. lindq

lindq

You have an interesting approach here. Trying to attract clients by insulting them.

Must be a British thing.

#12     May 12, 2020
    traderslair and Option_Attack like this.
  3. Baron takes a dim view of members getting after sponsors, but the other way around is ok. ;)

#13     May 12, 2020
    Baron likes this.
  4. volpri

volpri

Peter,

I thought it was an excellent video. I was able to clearly relate it to basically any type of skill development and in particular to developing trading skills. Well done!

#14     May 12, 2020
    JigsawTrading and SimpleMeLike like this.
  5. To be fair - none of the posters in the attempt to push this as a "gotcha" - to 'out a vendor' - actually watched the video before trying to catch me out.

Are you saying one should just take that on the chin and not have a good-nature poke back?

I would have thought watching the video would be a pre-requisite to critiquing it, not?
    That OR actually countering some of the points raised within?

#15     May 13, 2020
    RobotMan likes this.
  6. You could not have possibly watched the video between my posting it and your first comments. You replied 30 mins after I posted it. Lesson learnt. Next time you want to poke holes in a video - wait at least the duration of the video before poking.

The entire video is a single message with one point being based on earlier points - very hard to make assessments from random jumps around it. It is not about behavioral finance. It is about which parts of a discretionary category are "firm/rules-based" and which parts are "loose/skills-based" - as most people tend to think discretionary trading is shooting from the hip - it's an important topic for those trying to emulate the sort of results that good discretionary traders make.

And yes - I make no apologies for describing the way we acquire skills - because discretionary/skills-based trading can only work if there is a high degree of repetition. We learn skills through repetition and "shooting from the hip" every trade is the polar opposite of acquiring a skill. This is NOTHING at all to do with finance or behavioral finance.

Anyone who plays a sport or musical instrument will understand this thoroughly.

As for needing a professional background in behavioral finance - that seems odd for a presentation that goes over the calculations required to hit a tennis ball over a net. Maybe you'll tell me next that I should be a qualified sports psychologist.

The amount of effort you've put into this - you may as well have watched the video by now, fella.

#16     May 13, 2020
    RobotMan likes this.
  7. Thanks!

#17     May 13, 2020
    RobotMan likes this.
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I'm not sure why you're persisting with this.

Yet, I'll repeat one more time because I do not believe you are reading my messages or maybe have "skipped" through my message post because their too long instead of reading them entirely (I'm being sarcastic by the way)...don't take that statement personally.
    • I did in fact watch the video. I then took what was interesting and "skipped" through the other sections as soon as it started talking about something I'm very familiar with.
    • I use a specially video viewer on Youtube videos that allows me to "fast foward" by 5secs, 10secs, 15secs and such by the way. It's normal for me to watch very long videos...anything over 30mins I consider to be long (e.g. concerts by my favourite singers. I will skip through the familiar routines and listen to something I consider to be a new twist on one of my favourite songs by the band).
    I've highlighted the above to ensure you understand its the most important aspect of this message. In fact, I specifically name the sections in your video that were interesting to me because I did not skip through those sections including catching the name of someone by the name of JAMES because it was used in reference to a "psychologist".

Most members here at the forum know I have a very strong interest in psychology, behaviour finance, psycho therapy because I use these resources in my own trading as a "discretionary trader".
    • By the way, I define a discretionary trader as someone that does not use any automation in their trading to execute trades. It differs from the definition given by the person in the video. Yet, that's not a complaint...just different opinion about what is a discretionary trader.
    Regardless if you're able to read the above (you didn't skip through it)...I was in fact able to answer my own questions about several particular aspects of the video (e.g. name of the super computer).
    • Also, you know darn well I did not poke holes at your video nor did I make any negative criticism about your video. I specifically stated I "skipped" through the sections I was familiar with.
    Yet, don't take it personally. I do that with all other videos by others that's posted at this forum that's educational or they're just want members to view a video posted by someone else that they learned something from that person.

Thus, I "skip" though the sections that I'm familiar with and listen carefully to the sections I'm interested in watching or have further questions about.

I'll give you perfect example beyond my example of watching long concert videos.

We have a trader here at the forum by the user name of @hilmy83 and he posts links to his Youtube Live videos of live streaming of his daily trade performance.

The videos are much longer than yours because they involved his entire trading day. I "skipped" through the sections I was not interested in and only watch the sections involving actual trade entries / exits...its something I'm very interested in because I can study the price action involving his trades. In contrast, an example of sections I skipped through...it involves watching him eat his breakfast or something and/or him watching gaming/gamers....

I'm very familiar with other traders doing the same and I do not need to sit through watching another trader do that. Yet, when trade orders showed up...I paused the video...write down an interesting fact and continue to the next trades...skipping through anything familiar that's in between the live trades.

Next, I would post questions (I'm known for asking questions at this forum) about something I find very interesting in his posted video, posted chart or posted educational message post.

Most traders respond to my questions, a few are offended by my questions and just don't answer, a few will even complain to Baron (they publicly state they will tell Baron) and others I'm able to poke around and find the answers on my own as in example of your video involving the name of the super computer because the speaker in your video is a British speaker (my native language is French) and pronounces some words not clear to me.
    • I'm very clear that I've sat personally in on "group therapies" with a Psycho Therapist and Behavioural Finance professionals. They in fact used many similar phrases as used in the video. That prompt me to ask the question about the professional background. It's a normal question by the way to know about the background of the speaker.
    I didn't accuse anyone of anything nor put anyone down. It was just a question via a personal / familiar situation for me.

I'll leave it at that and you're clearly offended...nothing can I fix that nor do I need to apologize. I watch what's interesting and skip though what's not interesting to me via my personal experience. Reality, you seem NOT offended with the fact that I did in fact show interest in some aspects of the video through out the video but you're very offended that I "skipped" through the sections I'm very familiar with.

Yet, for you to continue to say I "did not watch" the video does imply I would not be able to ask you specific questions about certain things stated in the video.

Here's something you may have missed. Had you simply stated I did not watch the entire video because I must have skipped through it...you could have then asked me what sections was I familiar or found interesting and what specific sections I was not interested and why was it not interesting.
    • I would have then shared with you about myself sitting in on "group therapies" involving a Psycho Therapist, Behavioural Finance and Trader Psychologist for discretionary traders.
    We could have then discuss that, if you were interested, and I could have asked you more questions about the interesting sections involving your video.

That's a lost opportunity for you to engage your viewer and hopefully its a lesson learned that some forum members will find the entire video from start to finish very interesting while other forum members will skip through the sections they're very familiar with especially the members with +20 years of trading experience.

Reminder, I found some sections in the video interesting regardless to the fact that you truly believe I did not watch the video.

Last of all, unrelated, thanks for being a sponsor of Elitetrader.com because it keeps Baron from charging all members a small fee to join.

P.S. My message post intentionally long. Have a good day.

wrbtrader

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    #18     May 13, 2020
    luckyfnlou likes this.
  9. Here's another guy trying to make money teaching, because, you know, Making money Trading isn't that easy and it didn't work out that well for the OP.

Order Flow Trading on the DOM must be the biggest scam in recent Trading Teaching Industry history, are there traders making money with it? Eugh, yeah but they are funded like no retail trader is, they scale in like no retail trader can and they have a support network like no retail trader has.

Remember, if these guys would be profitable traders they would

a/ not teach but trade

b/ not sell their edge for a million

#19     May 13, 2020
  10. Thank you for the video , I enjoyed it.

Question:

1. Do you think day traders, particularly, in the futures markets get caught up in support and resistance and not enough effort spent in actually analyzing predictable price direction? I some times find myself waiting for price to get a level to make decision, rather than trading what I see.

2. What do you recommend for journaling trades?

#20     May 13, 2020
    JigsawTrading likes this.