Discovery confirms biblical account of Jerusalem

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by peilthetraveler, Jan 1, 2018.

1. stu

stu

I agree, it may well have been recently dug up though there is no real mention of when it was found. I don't see that is the issue anyway.

Because artifacts are dug up with names or references on them, doesn't help in any way confirm a biblical account of Jerusalem as the thread title falsely claims.

It just means works of fiction like the Bible have for a very long time, contained references to place names. Story books are not consistent with history just because they mention the name of an actual town or city.

So when a seal pops up in that place, it doesn't do anything to confirm biblical accounts. In this case all it does is confirm seals were made to denote a 'governor of Jerusalem'.

It is interesting to note similar seals from the same period have been found with Bethlehem inscribed on them. Funny how those were not "found" at the time Trump sounded off about Jerusalem.

#31     Jan 15, 2018
  2. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

Stu: i say, having a filter (on) is the best approach for fear of hurting other peoples feelings. I find that it is best to show a certain level of respect towards other peoples beliefs, even when they conflict with our own. I do agree with you that the Media mongers usually have an agenda, but we have to remember that the writers of these report are not always the smartest of people. Cheers*

#32     Jan 15, 2018
  3. stu

stu

The obligation is to respect the right for anyone to hold a belief. It is not the obligation to respect the belief anyone holds.

I would suggest there is nothing more likely to hurt other peoples feelings than the denial of free and open criticism of belief and ideas.
    And don't forget, religious beliefs have done a fair share of hurting peoples feelings and worse.

#33     Jan 15, 2018
  4. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

Yes but without religion, one might also consider the possibility that things would be much worse today. But since i cant make a wish and have us go back in time to do over again, we can just learn from our past mistakes.

#34     Jan 15, 2018
  5. jem

jem

you are a lying ass troll.

you realize now i was not shouting as you claimed so you make up more shit about fonts.
    Then you lie about whether I knew that the "T" could change font sizes. I was looking for paragraph controls. T to me means type of font you use not sizes.

Then you distort my argument about the provenance of the seal to make it look like you had a legit argument. Look up the word provenance which I used twice.

you are 100 percent troll.

#35     Jan 15, 2018
  6. stu

stu

:D

Seriously!? What are you 5 ?
    Now you know how to change font size. You're welcome. You could have just said thanks.

Or you could have just said when you made the post that you don't mean to convey any shout or other emphasis by posting words directed to me in the largest possible f'kn font size, like any normal non angry person would.

I never disputed the provenance. You said I did. You lied. Your distortion. Simple.
    In any case provenance has little if anything to do with the false claim made in the thread title :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    #36     Jan 16, 2018
  7. stu

stu

Indeed, yet on the other hand without religion one might also consider the possibility that things would be much better today. Who knows.

Nevertheless, one thing which does seem to have been learned, since the Enlightenment and although very slowly, is that it is far better on the whole for everyone and less dangerous when false claims pervading throughout religion and its corresponding beliefs are question challenged and disputed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    #37     Jan 16, 2018
  8. Zodiac4u

Zodiac4u

Come-come now Stu, are you mixing up religious ideas here? From where i sit, atheists pursuit of power is documented throughout history. Atheists are the ruot of all evil on this planet and there is much evidence of that. Death, violence and poverty is associated with atheist-ism and without religion it would have been worse.

Atheists continue to be in control today and things are not better Stu.

I do enjoy our talks though Stu.:)

#38     Jan 16, 2018
  9. stu

stu

Religion is an insult to human dignity.
    With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. Steven Weinberg

#39     Jan 16, 2018
  10. jem

jem

not disputing the provenance? why do you lie?

here was your first post...

here was part of your your second to which I told you there were other similar seals found in spots in Jerusalem and some were found in what they believe were the administrative offices.

stu said.
    "Can you even offer a coherent reason why this artifact said to "support the Bible" can give any more legitimacy to it than London's King's Cross Station gives to Harry Potter.

No, of course you can't."

So what now? Is you next post going to be word games? Ar you going to say you were not disputing you were just hinting that the seals could be from any city.

#40     Jan 16, 2018