Discontinuance of M3

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wincorp, Nov 12, 2005.

1. wincorp

wincorp

Discontinuance of M3

On March 23, 2006, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System will cease publication of the M3 monetary aggregate. The Board will also cease publishing the following components: large-denomination time deposits, repurchase agreements (RPs), and Eurodollars. The Board will continue to publish institutional money market mutual funds as a memorandum item in this release.

Measures of large-denomination time deposits will continue to be published by the Board in the Flow of Funds Accounts (Z.1 release) on a quarterly basis and in the H.8 release on a weekly basis (for commercial banks).

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm

2. Wow.

WHY?

That question needs to be answered. M3 growth since 1994 has been rapid, to say the least. What would the benefit to the fed & government to STOP reporting this data? Perhaps to stop reporting euro$?

Anyone here smarter than me have a good reason WHY this would be being done?

http://www.economagic.com/em-cgi/charter.exe/fedstl/m3sl

3. Talk about a major warning sign.

My guess is that they are trying to cover up the RPs, the main tool for money expansion in the last decade.

4. I disagree with other posters here.

The "Plunge Protection Team" for the stock market was actually enacted by an executive order. That sort of thinking seems to have worked pretty well in the post 9-11 era. We might still be around 8000 on the Dow, without the government attempting to tweak us higher.

Yes, not publishing M3 shows the fix is in - and again, it's probably to the benefit of all Americans.

5. Short term thinking there...

6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

7. TGregg

TGregg

I'll try a new course of action, and see if it helps.

This thread has the potential to seriously degrade into tinfoil hat lunacy and if it does, it's getting CCed. The unreporting of M3 is a signifcant move by the fed, and may indeed bring ill tidings. Theories that there is some sort of federal conspiracy to cover up inflation will be allowed to a small degree. Keep it plausible, sensible and offer evidence.

8. yes mom

#10     Nov 12, 2005