'Disconnect' software ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Wallace, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Is there any software that monitors internet connections and can
    determine where, why and how a disconnection occurred ?

2. Oh good gracious. Please do not tell me your day trading with a dial up connection?

Have you tried checking for noise on the line or a different modem?

CajunSniper / Puretick.com Administrator-Trader

3. Haha. Wow. Like dial-up is the only internet connection that goes out periodically. What a joke.

www.ticktools.com is something I recently got for Tradestation. I know there are others out there to monitor your broadband connection. Someone else will chime-in with those...

4. apologies, I screwed-up what I was asking:

when I'm running broker order entry software and it disconnects
    as well as other internet programs
    is there any software that monitors such connections and
    determines where, why and how a disconnection occurred ?

5. Spectra, have you ever wondered why so many otherwise unbiased, fair-minded people somehow can't stand your company's ways?

It has nothing to do with your ET Sponsor status per se.

Take another look at the OP's perfectly reasonable and specific question. Then take a look at your condescending, irrelevant, unhelpful, self-promoting reply, and maybe, just maybe, you might begin to understand why.

As an ET sponsor, don't you think that you can and ought to do better than that?

6. GTS

GTS

There is plenty of software out there to monitor your internet connection. For starters you can just run a continuous PING to your first hop gateway at your ISP, just open a DOS/CMD window and do "ping -t (some IP address)". You could have a second window continuously pinging your broker's IP address.

PingPlotter (previously mentioned) is also an excellent thing to leave running in background.

Determining where, why and how a disconnect occurred is a much bigger deal. Short of running packet capture software (e.g. Sniffer Pro, Ethereal) and analyzing it at that level you pretty much have to rely on the application to give you an explaination when a disconnect occurrs.

7. Trading is hard enough. If someone is having connection problems I'd rather them switch to a different provider/method of connection then getting a program to alert them of dropped connections. Thats like fixing a broken pipe with scotch tape.

CajunSniper / Puretick.com Administrator-Trader

8. Amazing. More arrogance. More replies to imaginary questions. More red herring metaphors. All apparently just to keep promoting your company's name and URL, so hard to find.

Where in the OP do you see any mention of someone "having connection problems"? Or using "a dial up connection"? Or "day trading"?

Contrary to appearances, somehow, we are not speaking the same language. What a waste... don't know what possessed me to pause to offer a constructive suggestion yesterday.

9. Going to have to agree 100% with late apex. Spectra is quite adept at posting meaningless garbage in order to flood any thread with the company name and URL. No attempt at help, just condescension and junk.

CajunSniper/Spectra/wojack/Tcbjx9: Alex may or may not be a good trader, but you've got a lot to learn. Quit spamming for the sake of yourself and your company, it's becoming disgraceful.

P.S. Don't you think it's obvious that at the same time each evening, wojack, Tcbjx9, and Spectra all begin posting on all your threads? Wow, what a coincidence! How does that happen? And they're both new ET members. Amazing! Get real...

#10     Apr 20, 2007