Directional trades prior to earnings

Discussion in 'Options' started by oldmonk, Jul 3, 2018.

1. oldmonk

oldmonk

Buying straddles before earnings is a well known non-directional trade that seeks to benefit from increasing IV and/or a move in either direction. My backtests (using just stock prices) show that many stocks (especially tech) tend to drift up prior to earnings.

Also, it's possible that the stock has a directional move upwards that's not large enough to cover the cost of a straddle. This would not be an issue when you just have a call. So is it a better play to simply buy ATM or slightly OTM calls a few days prior to earnings and close them just before the earnings release?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2018

2. Yes .......... And perhaps close them after earnings - for that extra kick.

3. oldmonk

oldmonk

I meant compared to straddles. Which gives you the better kick?

4. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Hey man, @OptionsOptionsOptions is lurking around this forum to spread his/her divine knowledge. I will let you know that, companies such as JPM, GS etc.. are going out of there way to learn about internet of things where they can track how many people have walked into LULU stores, how much electricity LULU is using etc... no need to try and guess the direction. This has thoughtfully been applied/investigated by so many before you. @OptionsOptionsOptions will tell you to buy deep OTM calls. You will end up with his fate. Broke.....

Niel Vol likes this.

5. OTM calls or puts only - no straddles.

6. oldmonk

oldmonk

great, thanks. time to go all in.

7. Just what you are prepared to lose. The debit is your "stop-loss".

8. oldmonk

oldmonk

i thought you were trolling earlier, but now i'm not so sure. either way, thanks for the input.

• Very few people on this site like strangles/straddles.
    • For directional trades you are better off with long calls or puts - not strangles/straddles.

9. oldmonk

oldmonk

maybe my question wasn't clear enough. i'm not asking how to make directional trades. it's a question about long option plays prior to earnings.

#10     Jul 4, 2018