Direct Calf Work

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, Jun 29, 2020.

1. I seem to get the same (non)benefit with or without added weight. Even years ago, when I did calf work with relatively heavy weights, I don't remember my calves being any bigger.

#11     Jun 30, 2020
  2. That had been my impression. But I noticed that when I added beyond failure work for upper legs and/or my higher number of weekly bodyweight squats that I do for cardio, I began having difficulty getting the same number of reps when working calves. That's what got me thinking.

I know that calves get worked during, say, squats and leg press, but now I've been wondering to what extent. That's why I'm thinking about stopping calf raises for a while to see if I notice any difference. But I haven't decided yet.

Here, the muscles worked during squats and leg press are identified:

https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSquat

https://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SL45LegPress

#12     Jun 30, 2020
  3. That's annoying. I was fishing with confirmation bias in mind.

#13     Jun 30, 2020
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  4. Oh, piss off. :D

#14     Jun 30, 2020
  5. LOL. Let me clarify that noticeable means noticeable to me. Isn't anyone going to be amazed by my legs. That said, there is improvement, but it's taking considerably more attention to detail than I have ever given before. The ROI is sloooow. Guess it comes down to enjoy the journey.

#15     Jun 30, 2020

6. I know..dont know why genetics gave me calves but abs of lava

#16     Jun 30, 2020
  7. I didn't say that my calves are getting bigger. That would be a lie. However, I do have the impression that they get stronger by doing the standing calve raise in the weighted machine.

#17     Jun 30, 2020
  8. No argument there. And I suppose that's a good enough reason for doing them.

#18     Jun 30, 2020
  9. [​IMG]

#19     Jul 2, 2020
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
    #20     Jul 3, 2020