Dire Warning About Secular Progressivism In America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Mar 22, 2013.

1. So to sum it up:

You can't understand the universe and it's mysteries so it is easier to ascribe it all to God.

You could not understand how one could live ethically without God threatening hell and promising heaven so you need him.

You are afraid to die so you want to believe in God.

Those are the feelings of many people, hence there is "God".

#21     Mar 23, 2013
  2. Dustin

Dustin

I read something recently that made me change the way I think about debating a higher power with a believer.

When an atheist tells someone there is no god, they are also saying "your mom/sister/brother/dad/grandma/grandpa are not in heaven. They aren't waiting for you". The grasp of this idea is too powerful to overcome. You aren't dealing with rational thought at this point.

Maybe something to keep in mind in these threads.

#22     Mar 23, 2013
  3. Are you saying that atheists should not try to dissuade believers because their faith comforts them? If so, I also sometimes think that is true. Perhaps the vehemence of some atheists, including myself, stems from envy of the faithful's faith. There is the thought that if I can't have the comfort of God then you can't either.

Should the ethical atheist never argue against God?

#23     Mar 23, 2013
  4. Dustin

Dustin

I guess it depends on the person? There are close friends I won't discuss God with because it wouldn't end well. Rational vs. irrational thought is a bad mix, even when the believer knows they are irrational (ie. faith).

#24     Mar 23, 2013
  5. Exactly. Several years ago an older lady (damn maybe about my age now) asked me if I believed in god and I answered honestly and told her no. She teared up and said she believed her dead husband and son were in heaven waiting for her. My answer was like an assult on her beliefs, even though it was a simple and courteous no. Now I'll just lie, it isn't worth the effort and I don't really care about converting anyone. Every once in a while if I'm getting preached at too hard and long I'll tell the person just to get some peace, but that doesn't happen often. I've even faked prayed with family during funerals. It just a lot more pleasant getting along.

#25     Mar 23, 2013
  6. Well if Christmas and Easter ruin your peaceful enjoyment of life, I suppose so. How petty.

#26     Mar 23, 2013
  7. You imply you are ethical:D :D :D .
    Sorry but your stupidity, arrogance, and hypocrisy preclude that IMHO.

#27     Mar 23, 2013
  8. Max E.

Max E.

You just basically admitted you are a, petulant/jealous human being who can not stand the site of someone else's inner peace. You are exactly the kind of sociopath that makes atheists/agnostics look bad, because you insist on proving someone else wrong,

WTF does it matter if someone thinks its real?does that persons spiritual beliefs have any effect on your life?

#28     Mar 23, 2013
  9. Wallet

Wallet

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

All the scientific minds here can't read the obvious data that's in front of them; the farther this Nation separates itself from God the worse it gets.

#29     Mar 23, 2013
  10. stu

stu

Exactly the same philosophy communism used.

#30     Mar 23, 2013