Dire Warning About Secular Progressivism In America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Mar 22, 2013.

1. It's retiring. Thank goodness. Was getting pretty feeble on the job. Half of them don't even know how to work a computer.

#11     Mar 22, 2013
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Wouldn't that be considered trolling?

Where is IQ47 aka Barney Fife aka Grandpa Troll at to condemn this behavior?

Surely he's not a spineless two faced hack.

#12     Mar 22, 2013
  3. pspr

pspr

AK is a team player. He can't dis one of his team no matter how crazy and stupid that team member is.

Liberalism is so wonderful. Just line the sheep up and sheer them. They have no idea what is coming.

Just hope one doesn't start running for the cliff! You'll lose them all. :D

#13     Mar 22, 2013
  4. Seems like you've been hanging out with the 2 cozy religions of godless liberalism and muslims.
    How you dumbass liberals reconcile your support for radical Islamism is beyond me.

#14     Mar 22, 2013
  5. Though I'm an agnostic, I wouldn't call someone a weak-minded fool simply because they believe in God or some type of higher spiritual power. Many people smarter than me (and smarter than you, too) hold/held such beliefs.

The existence of God cannot be proven nor disproven, so I don't spend much time thinking about it.

But I don't believe these people are "weak-minded fools."

Isaac Newton
    Max Planck
    Blaise Pascal
    Galileo Galilei
    ... and dozens more including many Nobel prize winning physicists

Please don't respond by saying that most scientists are atheists. So what? It may be true, but it doesn't prove that scientists who do believe in God are weak-minded fools.

It seems that people in the twenty-first century are more interested in name-calling and arguing than they are in having real discussions.

“The fact of the matter is that we are dealing with the cosmic questions of existence and meaning. Thomas Huxley, the great biologist of the last century, said that the question of all questions for science and religion is to determine our true place and our true role in the Universe. For both science and religion it is the same question. However, there has essentially been a divorce in the last century or so between that of science and the Humanists and I think that it’s very sad that we don’t speak the same language anymore.” Micho Kaku, Theoretical Physicist

#15     Mar 22, 2013
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I had a now dead uncle who had a P.h.D in chemistry. Many years ago he said something to the effect. Anyone who believes all you see around you just happened by chance is a fucking idiot.

(paraphrased, as it was a long time ago)

He was not at any time during his life the least bit religious.

#16     Mar 22, 2013
  7. pspr

pspr

The reason I am religious isn't because I have researched phenomena and events of history or read the Bible or was brought up religiously. Although from an objective standpoint, those things would have convinced me that there is an afterlife and a supreme being.

In fact in my 20's I pretty much divorced myself from religion. I could have cared less. Then in my 30's I began to realize that the world didn't make sense to me without a higher intelligence. I had trouble trying to reconcile the fact that I was here and the universe with all it's mysteries was here and not believing in an afterlife or an intelligence of design didn't fit with that. If there wasn't an intelligent mind to appreciate the living world and the amazing universe it made no sense to me that it, or I, was here.

I couldn't bring myself to believe that at the end of everyone's life was death and that was it. That someday Earth will be destroyed and that will probably be the end of all thinking humans. That there wasn't some purpose. With out a creator or greater intelligence it seemed to me that there couldn't be a purpose. There would be no point to all the mysteries. The existence of the universe makes no sense to me if that is the case.

When I put myself in that mindset, that no God (for lack of a better word) exits then nothing makes sense to me. There is no reason for any of it. It doesn't matter if you are honest or a crook, feel compassion or don't. It doesn't even matter if you die at this moment or live for a 1000 years. None of it matters.

But there is something in the back of my mind that keeps telling me that it does matter. What I do may not have any effect on anyone in 100 years or 1000 years from now but it does matter. What people do and how they behave does matter beyond the now. And something is telling me that it will matter somewhere forever.

If Earth were destroyed tomorrow it wouldn't be the end of intelligent thought. It wouldn't be the end of our intelligent thought. That the universe isn't so mysterious and vast and that it exists just because it does. There is a reason behind it and we are an integral part of that reason.

When I think it is too preposterous to think there is a creator thoughts that nothing makes sense if that is the case come flooding back to the front of my mind and remind me of my research and the fact that things only make sense in my mind if there is something more.

So, even if I never heard of God, if I had never been able to look into historical accounts of religion and phenomena I could no more decide to believe there isn't something more, that there isn't an afterlife and a higher being, than I could just stop breathing. It's part of me and I didn't put it there.

I know that probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me but I don't know how to explain it any other way.

#17     Mar 22, 2013
  8. Seeking meaning (particularly about Life) is not a trivial thing. It is one of the greatest traits that humans have above other animals and insects. All science seeks answers to what at first are mysteries. The search for meaning in Life is perhaps one of the oldest, if not the oldest of them.

Scientists open their minds - and are taught to never be dogmatic. It is a safety valve with its roots in humility, which an open mind must have to remain open.

Is there an AfterLife? And if so - was there a BeforeLife? Why would our consciousness begin only here, when there is nothing to dissuade the thought that this life is only part of a longer journey?

If it is only part of something larger - what is it's purpose? And did each of us have a choice from a BeforeLife to be here that we will only recall when we return?

Steve Jobs famously said:
    "No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life."

So we all head towards it, closer every day. In the end all you take with you (if you believe there is an AfterLife) are the lessons learned.

So what lessons will you have learned? (rhetorical question). What have you allowed yourself to become, and can you be proud of it in a place that shares little of the cares and fixations of this world?

Personally, I don't mind losing Santa and the Easter Bunny, because the original meanings of Christmas and Easter were much less commercialized than that..... :D

#18     Mar 22, 2013
  9. pspr

pspr

And the loving relationships we've made.

#19     Mar 22, 2013
  10. Radical Islam is just another whacked-out religion so I'm certainly no supporter of it.

#20     Mar 23, 2013