Dimitry Balyasny - greatest trader since Livermore?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by llaterallus, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Who is this guy? It seems this guy has had the greatest rise from nowhere since Livermore. Tudor, Cohen, and the rest of the market wizards (although great traders probably): (1) already came from wealth (2) were mentored by great traders (3) or had the connections to raise capital very early in their careers. None of the market wizards started at some day trading firm like Dimitri trading their own money learning on their own. It seems Dimitri is the biggest self made trader since Livermore. But then I'm just speculating, I don't know much about the guy but would like to hear more.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12700&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

2. several of his office mates at schoni are members here on elite.

:D :D :D

3. Actually the Livermore comparison maybe unfair - Livermore was doing shit that became illegal after the crash and blew his brains out. That makes Dimitry's success even more unprecedented. I hear he is managing 5 billion now. And just a few years ago he was day trading at shonfield it seems.

4. Balyasny's fund is up a bit over 6% YTD through May 2007.

5. EPrado

EPrado

Helluva trader...and probably one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in the business.

6. I WAS WITH SCHONY AND KNOW DIMITRI. I ALSO STARTED A SMALL TRADING OPERATION WITH ONE OF DIMITRI'S TOP OPTION GUY. UofC BLOODLINE.

MY MENTOR WAS EDUCATED BY DIMITRI AND WENT ON TO RISE UP ON HIS OWN.

DIMITIR IS A SOLID TRADER WITH A LOT OF "IVEY"LEAGUE REASERCH TEAMS. HE IS A GREAT PERSON AND LAYS LOW.

HOWARD ABEL "TRADER AND AUTHOR" TRADED AT SCHONY, A ROOM NEXT TO REARDEN METAL'S (WHICH WAS THE TEAM I TRADED WITH). RUMMOR WAS THAT HOWARD WOULD WRITE A BOOK ON D ONE DAY.

KEEP IN MIND, D CAME FROM NOTHING TO SOMETHING AS DID MR. METAL. MILLIONS WHERE LOST AND MADE. I SHOULD WRITE A BOOK, HOWEVER IM HAVING TO MUCH FUN IN LAND DEVELOPMENT AND TRADING THE FOREX.

MABY ONE DAY I WILL WRITE A BOOK. HOWEVER, IT WILL BE MORE ABOUT OUR CRAZY ASS TRADING ROOM, HEADED UP BY MR REARDEN METAL HIMSELF. BUT OF COURSE, DIMITRY WILL GET A SHOUT OUT.

:cool:

7. you rock, EMR:D

looking forward to the book, that will be a treat!

surf

8. EPrado

EPrado

Rearden Metal was one helluva basketball player also. He took a lot of money off of me playing H-O-R-S-E.

He was as graceful when playing hoops as a horse with 4 broken legs.