Digital Camera's, Photography anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spectra, Jan 11, 2007.

1. You need to consider your budget. Me, I'm a total amateur so anything more than a 400D is a waste of money.

When you say scenic photos do you mean landscapes? If so, you may want to go with an ultra-wide if you are shooting with a cropped-sensor camera such as the 400D.

With the 400D, an ultra-wide zoom like the Canon 10-22 if you can afford it. Alternatively, the Sigma 10-20 is much cheaper and produces results no worse to a less discerning eye like mine.

Bear in mind that both of these lenses are specifically for cropped sensor cameras and won't work on full-frame cameras...so this is something to think about when it comes time for possible re-sale or the next generation of prosumer digital cameras which may abandon cropped-sensors.

The 400D has 9 auto-focus points. The D80 has 11. The 1Ds has 45.

"Fast low light auto focus". If you're doing landscapes, you'll be using a tripod and cable release with more often than not hyperfocal distance focusing. Fast auto focusing isn't really a concern. So perhaps, a more detailed explanation of what you actually having in mind might enable better recommendations.

Also bear in mind, the lens is obviously crucial in determining auto-focusing speed and dealing with low-light...not just the camera body.

1000s of informed end-user "subjective" reviews and ratings of just about every lens you might be considering:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

A decent dealer should let you test out a lens to varying degress before purchasing.

If you're just starting out I personally wouldn't bother with a body any more expensive than the Canon 400D. Even then, it probably has too many features and automation to prevent a total newbie from focusing on properly learning the basics without being distracted.

#11     Jan 12, 2007
  2. www.photo.net is another good site to check out for advice on which camera to get, good forum and image galleries.

My choice would be the Canon EOS 30D or 5D.

#12     Jan 12, 2007
  3. thanks forex-forex. I've had the 30D and 10D now.. or was is D30. They keep messing around with the D placement! Makes no sense to me. I really like the quality of the CMOS sensor and the increased focal length.

#13     Jan 14, 2007
  4. I finally placed an order. I settled on the Nikon D200. It seems to be a bit more sturdy then the D80 and I'm planning to be in a few car accidents in the next year or so.

CajunSniper / Puretick.com Administrator-Trader

#14     Feb 13, 2007