Digital Camera's, Photography anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spectra, Jan 11, 2007.

1. I'm in the market for a digital camera for scenic photos. Fast low light auto focus is a must. I've been to dpreview but still can not decide between the following:

Nikon D80
    Canon EOS 400D
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon EOS 5D
    Canon EOS 1Ds

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. I would highly recommend the Nikon D80. Of course, since I own a D50, I am biased towards Nikon, but it truly is a nice camera. I am thinking about upgrading to the D80 because it has more options like more intricate ISO speeds, an extra dial on the front of the body for the shutter finger, a backlight for the top LCD, and whatnot.

I haven't used the Canon's personally, but they're supposed to be pretty nice cameras, too.

Good luck!

3. I had a D30 and D10 canon. The auto focus was horribile. I always enjoyed my Nikon N70 film camera. I'm serious considering switching over to nikon. I'll have to buy a few new lenses.. You know how $$$ they can be.

Do you know if the Nikon have the auto sensor dust removal system?

4. AF works best when there is plenty of light, so make sure you're judging the AF ability on fair grounds.

Lenses can be expensive, but you need to shop around. Here's a couple recommendations:

Nikkor 50mm Prime f/1.8
    Nikkor 18-135mm ED Glass AF-S f/3.5-5.6g
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR (Vibration Reduction) ED Glass

The last one is quite pricey, but I hear it's extremely sexy, too ;-)

5. Thaks! Will check them out in the am. Need to get some sleep and get ready for trading tomorrow am.

6. See if you can find them on this site. When I was looking for a camera they had 10-15 page reviews on each one:

http://www.dpreview.com/

7. DPReview is a great site, although I'm not sure how many in-depth lens reviews they have. I tend to just Google a few specifics like "nikkor 50mm f/1.8D" or "sigma 24mm f/2.8" to find reviews and user comments. Amazon also sometimes has user reviews, although they're not a huge digital photography sales place me thinks ....

8. JayS

JayS

9. It would be nice if there was a store that would let me check them out in advance or event rent them for a few days. I'm sure I'll find things I like/dislike about each.

10. I've heard that you -can- rent them, although I have no idea where. I post at the Ars Technica forums a lot ... people there speak of such things.

#10     Jan 12, 2007