Different thinking pays of

Discussion in 'Options' started by markg_ny, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Was that SGQIB 10 call? After the fact of course seems no coincidence, whether or not this would be reason to act upon then, hard to say..... If at all I personally would have moved to Oct, that's for sure. But in this case eod analysis would have been too late anyway.

Any news about an :cool:investigation in this case ...?

#11     Oct 8, 2005
  2. yes , SEP 10 calls with spike in IV and three times stock's volume vs. average. I agree , many times unusual option's activity is misleading, but straight buy or sell for OTM sometimes can lead to the winner. Anyway , not my game ; too much work to follow so many for occasional winner.

#12     Oct 8, 2005
  3. How did you measure the IV spike? A 5¢ option with 1 week to go has little IV value. In general eod I switched from using bid/ask average to ask because too often even the avg is below intrinsic value. What do you use, and do you measure eod or real time ?

#13     Oct 8, 2005
  4. markg_ny

markg_ny

Thanks for keeping the thread alive and giving me and friends a topic for conversation over beer while there is not baseball today:
    Just a short summary of comments (what I remember before going to sleep):

Dell-Boy: (re: sorry (markg ny )NO-GO John says you are full of shit).
    Funny post. Made us laugh. Calling M/M John when you could just go to any site with volume and open interest data like: (not a spam but site I assume everyone is aware of)
    http://www.schaeffersresearch.com/streetools/indicators/equity_oi_config.aspx?ticker_symbol=jpn

On the right site you have a table with open interest with:
    Date Call OI Put OI
    10/7 1,976 10,497
    10/6 1,960 10,810
    10/5 1,960 8,318
    Looks like open interest for puts increased by 2492 (close to 2500 I mentioned) between 10/5 and 10/6.
    One remark I remember: “We write the software they use on the floor and majority of the guys there do not know a lot. They just do whatever our programs or paper tables tells them. They do not trade the market, market trades them.”

Another comments:
    “Any bigger company has historical options data with hundreds having free access to it. There should be at least one person in this forum (who is not a fake) and can get data and share it here for dates and symbols in question.”

BUT BE CAREFUL: If you share the data here and you are not a member for a year or two you could be called ‘full of shit’, spam, etc.

I was promised some database dumps for the symbols and dates in question (just for me to look how the volume was distributed) but I will share it in few days. (hope someone will do this before me).

#14     Oct 9, 2005
  5. http://www.ivolatility.com/options.j?ticker=SEBL:NASDAQ&R=1&period=3&chart=02&vct=4

Nonpro , do u have B&S in Excel ? If yes , can you PM me ?
    I need all greeks , inverse and binary search. Appreciate any help here .

#15     Oct 9, 2005
  6. As you probably know ivolatility's IV index is a weighted average of several strikes and expirations. Doesn't tell you much about activity in one specific series. If I'm not mistaken they only use near-the-money strikes so it seems unlikely in the SEBL case the spike was caused by the 10 call. Could be there was similar activity in other strikes of course, the spike is there iindeed.

Re. excel more code than you wish for here:

http://www.vbnumericalmethods.com/vbnumericalmethods/financial.asp

except perhaps a "inverse and binary search". Wazzdat :confused: ??

#16     Oct 9, 2005
  7. What exactly has option volume, P/C ratios or Open interest got to do with future direction ? For every buyer there has to be a seller and vice versa. Open interest is neither long nor short – it’s open.

Knowing who actually <b><u>initiated</u></b> a trade may be useful, but even then, you couldn’t possibly know whether it was speculation or a genuine hedge.

What am I missing here ?

#17     Oct 9, 2005
  8. Ditto!

Many options traders seem to believe that they can gain insight into market's direction by looking at options' trading activities. So, when they spot unusual increase/decrease in volume and open interest, they assume that the underlying security is about to bust up/down. However, all options traders who care less about direction and timing have been busted!!!

Options is a derivative. Its value is derived from movement by the underlying security, so ignoring the importance of market's direction and timing will make you a miserable trader! :)

#18     Oct 9, 2005
  9. thanks for the link

#19     Oct 9, 2005
  10. To check out the option market can at least be an additional factor. Like in the SEBL example, if hypothetically I would have considered a bearish position and find someone willing to risk 50k on OTM calls 1 week before expiration, I might postpone a week. No matter how you slice it, the calls are NOT a bearish position.

Some signals are crisp and clear:

http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2005-117.htm

While they get more sophisticated (like hiring Croatian women) this will probably never stop. Greed will prevail!

Another proven phenomenon like pinning is initiated in the option market. Independent of the motive for a trade, checking option activity for me is standard procedure.

#20     Oct 10, 2005