Different reading between e-signal & q-charts

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by LordMelbury, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Jay

thanks for replying

In the main i am happy with e signal and i originally moved over to you from q charts because something happened to make me feel your data was more reliable(long story)

You mentioned you get what you pay for and that their are cheaper and dearer competitors.

Are you implying that your more expensive competitors could be more reliable in terms of accuracy on various indicators?

thanks again

#11     Mar 14, 2003
  2. jem

jem

Jay you do seem to have a better feed. But I too find the differences between indicators disturbing. (not because my t/a depends on precision but because I like to have condidence in my equipment and preparation).

Any chance someone from esignal could explain how to setup say standard, es day, standard stock day, standard gold, standard EC, etc. Then we could create a standard overnight setup for those instruments. (The default setup instrument thing does not work well when mixing and matching layouts at least for me)

Then we could get someone from tradestation to create the same things for TS. (any vendors would be invited)

Then, a second exercise would be to compare say an es day between any vendors wishing to participate. ( I get both ts and esignal). We could then see where and when the first hourly bar of the day starts and closes. We could then see where the the 20 period moving averages lay and where say the MACD and Stochastic as well. I am sure there will be differences so will probably want to examine how these indicators are created.

We would then see which providers have the attention to detail most traders would desire. If we compare enough products I am sure we will be amazed by the results.

#12     Mar 14, 2003
  3. Concerning this remark, don't hold your breath:

Then, a second exercise would be to compare say an es day between any vendors wishing to participate. ( I get both ts and esignal). We could then see where and when the first hourly bar of the day starts and closes. We could then see how the 20 period moving average (simple and exponential is calculated). I suggest we look at MACD and Stochastic as well.

We could then see which providers have the attention to detail most traders would desire. If we compare enough products I am sure we will be amazed by the results.

End quote

Michael B.

P.S. nice try though

#13     Mar 14, 2003
  4. jem -

You don't even really know whether there's a problem or the possible magnitude of it. Start with something simple.

Why don't you just setup a regular trading hours ES chart using 5 minute bars and a 20 period EMA and post a snapshot of it here. Then people with different feeds can compare what you're seeing with what they see.

#14     Mar 14, 2003
  5. jem

jem

archangel - I tried this in the past and gave up on it. In the past in my office there were probably five different feeds, it was difficult enough just to get everyone to open at the same time. Forget about indicators. After a while people just gave up trying to reproduce their charts from one computer to the next yet alone one program to the next. I just thought since esignal and tradestation read these boards they may want to show off their attemtion to detail. Untill then I will have my doubts.

I will let you know this, a few weeks ago I noticed significant differences so I just set up 5 and 15 simple moving averages on each chart and the lines were in different places on a 3 minute chart in the middle of the day. Without an effort by the vendors, I have no desire to waste any more time on this subject ever again.

#15     Mar 14, 2003
  6. Qcharts can have differences even in their own servers. I had the server select upgrade and could see time and price variables just clicking from one server to the next!

#16     Mar 15, 2003
  7. So does this mean that we cannot rely on any indicators we may see on anyones softwear,i would have thought this was a major big deal,it certainly would be if everyones chart were showing different prices at the same time.

I would have thought we all want ma,stochastics etc to be in sync also.

#17     Mar 16, 2003
  8. #18     Mar 16, 2003
  9. Indicators are just lagging off of the ohlcv. So they are just plotted in this study to visually see the differences out there. I think we can all agree that they would not be plotted the same if the feed reported different ohlcv.

OHLCV

open
    high
    low
    close
    volume

Michael B.

#19     Mar 16, 2003
  10. jem - I don't understand what you mean.

If you open a 5 minute ES chart right now and put a 10 period EMA on it. I can do the same (ANY TIME LATER) and we can see what my chart looked like over the same period as your chart to compare the data and indicator results.

Re: someone's comment about differences between servers - I believe all datafeeds with different server plants can have the same situation. Something to do with the raw trade data not being time stamped from the exchanges and so the minute bars are built on the fly by the datafeed servers. Depending on transmission latency, individual trades hitting at minute borders could fall into different minutes and thus cause some differences.

#20     Mar 16, 2003