Different reading between e-signal & q-charts

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by LordMelbury, Mar 14, 2003.

1. I use a 20 period ema on a 5 min chart for the s&p e minis.

My friend has the same set up with q charts.

I was just on the phone to him when i realized we have 2 different readings,my price was below the ma his was above.

I have gone over and over it has my friend to check we have done nothing wrong...i dont believe we have.

I just called e signal who has slightly different results to me but only differs by 2 digits on the last decimal places(which i am not happy about) but not as bad as the big difference between q charts.

We have exactly the same properties length:20 offset:0 source:close exponential.

I trade from england if this is relevant

which data is correct?

2. I have been in chat rooms and we have had different feeds and different readings up to 5 differences!

There can also be differences just by which server your using ...at the same feed!

I will be reading this thread to see what others have to say....As a result of the chat room I was in several years ago when daytrading stocks one brokerage was sued for "altered reporting to suit their fills (they are out of business now). Now I am not suggesting this is happening to you...but it is a valid point of the differences in reports and how to trade correctly.

Michael B.

3. Are both of you using the same length of data. ie full Globex session (4:45pm to 4:15pm next day) or just 9:30 EST to 4:00EST? Also, are you both trading the same contract. The ES contract rolled over to June yesterday.

4. We are using the same contract ES M3,i am not sure what you mean by your first question but i can tell you we checked a couple of stocks as well with similar differences.

5. ES trades 23 1/2 hours a day (4:45pm to 4:15pm), however one of you may have your charts setup to only show data from 9:30am to 4:00pm (regular 'market' hours). If one of you is using one kind of data and one of you is using the other then there can be big differences for the first 100 minutes of the trading day (5min x 20ma).

Data between 2 vendors may also differ slightly as the closing price of a bar may not be exactly the same. It shouldn't be any significant difference though. You should try going through the closing price of each 5min bar, for the last 20bars, with your friend to see if there is any significant difference.

Also, as far as Stocks go, you can also have differences at the beginning of the day if one of you is using premarket ECN data and the other isn't.

6. we are both using the same time span.

7. E-sig, real tick...etc these type of feeds that you pay real money for.... consider themselves tier 3 providors...that is to say thay have their own ticker plan

Michael B.

8. mixer

mixer

with errors and differences between data vendors you might as well give up all TA and just watch tape, but then that may be messed up so maybe we should all quit trading and just take some stockbrokers advice.

9. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

Hello LordMelbury,

Let me first say that it is the nature of the industry to see differences when comparing data providers. There are so many factors that contribute to this, one of the biggest of which is timeliness and reliability of the incoming data feed.

We use a direct feed from the exchanges into our ticket plants, while others use “mid-tier” data providers as a source (ie. QCharts and TradeStation get their data from S&P Comstock.) Additionally, if a mid-tier provider has an outage then their constituents are also affected, and will have gaps in their database.

We strongly believe we have the best data available for our price level. There are more expensive and less expensive products out there, but the old adage, “You get what you pay for,” certainly applies to this industry.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Sincerely,
    Jay F.
    eSignal Community Support

10. Jay...it is nice to know you are monitoring ET. I find this site frequented by may notable folk.

Michael B.

#10     Mar 14, 2003