Differences between demo trading and live trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1a2b3cppp, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I feel your pain. My sim IB account shows a profit of $800+ today. From this morning during very dangerous times. Today is my 1st real day too. started analysis etc..., was up on the news, (which made me feel less ready lol). I am up $87.00 for the day (real) and am now out. My hands were shaking, I was sweating, I was simply slower to pull the trigger. I was holding on to that green and I was flat out scared. I stayed with it, was down, stopped, chopped and you name it. But did see 2 small winners. Without them I would have been out $250, my stop-out point. I will be back again tomorrow regardless.

I have much to learn. Probably as much about myself as trading I guess.
    Good luck and great trading.

#11     Sep 15, 2008
  2. I know the feeling. My my sim account i'm like whatever. Today with real money I was shaking. And of course as soon as I enter it goes totally against me. And my system is counter-trend so it should never go against me. LOL. (cuz you always hear trend traders complaining that it's going against them as soon as they enter).

#12     Sep 15, 2008
  3. eagle

eagle

Assume liquidity isn't an issue, meaning that your trade size won't make any difference on the other side. Can you answer the following question.

On paper account: Will you trade NYSE:AIG today?
    On real account: Will you trade NYSE:AIG today?

On both cases above, why?

#13     Sep 15, 2008
  4. I'm trading futures.

#14     Sep 15, 2008

5. There is no difference. If you create one in your mind by telling yourself its different, then it will be.

My philosophy? There is no spoon.

#15     Sep 15, 2008
  6. Today may not be a good day to start as it is very high volatile day and with the news/rumors going on every minute.

#16     Sep 15, 2008
  7. If anyone wants to get rich I can show you how.

Simply, send me $2000.00, and I will open a live chat room. I will call out my trades live as I take them.

TO profit, you simply need to fade my trades(take the opposite of my trades) and go for an automatic two points.

You will prophit beyond your wildest dreams and be a happy trader.

Other strategies I will show you will be making my Initial Stop Loss you entry, this will pick the EXACT top or bottom of a market and then rally 5-10 ES points.

:)

#17     Sep 15, 2008
  8. I guarantee your are not doing the exact same thing because the price action isn't exactly the same thing.

In addition, your emotional or stress level isn't the same when you went from demo to real money trading.

Other than that...

Simulator trading should only be used to familiarize yourself to the broker platform and not used to develop your method.

Thus, your method should be developed prior to testing it on a simulator. :cool:

Last of all, you picked one heck of a day to go live trading today on a trading day that most traders rarely see.

Mark

#18     Sep 15, 2008
  9. You joke but at least you see a pattern in what you are doing wrong, seriously try the opposite and see how it goes. If its truly a pattern, you'll make money.

See, trading is pretty simple, just gotta have no ego :)

#19     Sep 15, 2008
  10. eagle

eagle

What was your feeling and body language [need somebody else to watch you] after you placed a trade, both in simulation and real?

#20     Sep 15, 2008