Difference in put/call OI

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by heech, Jul 6, 2009.

1. heech

heech

Hi,

I'm just looking over the open interest for some of the ag/soft options.

For example, CCU9:

http://quotes.ino.com/options/?s=NYBOT_CC.U09.E

It seems pretty noticeable that almost all of the put OI is at the lower strikes, while the call OI is at the higher strikes.

I'd be interested in understanding why that effect exists... is it because market participants are mostly looking at technical support levels? Buying cheap puts/calls beyond the trading range?

And here's a naive tactical question: in an attempt to beat that nasty ask/bid spread in some of these rarely trading options... would I have more luck getting filled in between ask/bid spread while writing options, if I looked for strikes with open interest?

For example, perhaps on the lower strikes I could sell puts for a slightly higher premium than calls, and on the higher strikes I could sell calls for a slightly higher premium... because the locals might want to move their open position off the book and lock in profit.

2. 1) The open interest tends to be "out of the money". Retail speculators tend to trade those strike prices.
    2) "Busting" the bid-ask spread can save you money on slippage. It would be "better" to focus on strike prices that have substantial open interest instead of those that have little to none.
    3) Don't be concerned about other trader's motivations. :cool: