difference between market-making and just proprietary trading?

Discussion in 'Options' started by carl1111, Feb 20, 2006.

1. I did say if a retail trader has direct market access, i.e. he can also buy the bid and sell the offer.

What other advantage (if any) does a MM have ?

Retail traders pay comms, MM pay overheads.

#21     Mar 6, 2006
  2. MTE

MTE

And I said quoting a two-sided market, retail traders are not allowed to do that.

#22     Mar 6, 2006
  3. Certainly can in the UK.

So what happens in the US for example if you place a buy limit order ? Does it sit on the bid or the offer ?

#23     Mar 6, 2006
  4. MTE

MTE

Quoting a two-sided market means having a bid and an ask in. I.e. a buy limit and a sell limit in at the same time. That's market maker's privelege!

#24     Mar 6, 2006
  5. Well, I can do both, and at the same time !

Am I a MM but without their overheads ?

#25     Mar 6, 2006
  6. MTE

MTE

If you say so.....

#26     Mar 6, 2006
  7. So back to the original question...

If a retail trader has direct market access, does a MM really have any significant advantage over the retail trader ?

Ok, a retail trader has to pay broker comms, but a MM has overheads such as office rent, staff costs etc, etc.

Where exactly is the MM's edge ?

#27     Mar 6, 2006
  8. On U.S. option exchanges, your broker allows you to
    make two sided markets? I find that difficult to believe.

Does your broker also waive the cancelation fees as
    you adjust your buy and sell limit orders up and down?

Whom are you trading through?

#28     Mar 6, 2006
  9. I don't trade the US market so I wouldn't know what the situation is there.

Not applicable, there are no cancellation fee's in the first place.

Rather keep it to myself if you don't mind. But there are several UK brokers offering direct market access. It's not so unusual here.

We seem to have digressed..... My point really is regarding the perceived advantage a MM has over retail.

#29     Mar 6, 2006
  10. MTE

MTE

US brokers also offer direct market access, but, as far as I'm aware, it is not the same as being a market maker, but that's beside the point, anyway.

I don't think we have digressed. Being able to have orders on both sides at the same time is an important consideration when comparing retail and market makers in the US, but it is, obviously, not an issue in the UK. Thus, it would seem that the exact "list" of advantages of being a market maker depends on which country/market you're looking at.

So, in the US, this would be being able to quote a two-way market, being able to see the order flow and haircuts based margining, to name a few.

#30     Mar 6, 2006