Difference between eSignal and Zen-fire

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by david brewster, Dec 28, 2010.

1. This is probably a newbie question. My understanding is that Zen-Fire is a real-time data-feed provider. eSignal is a trading platform as well as real-time data-feed provider. So why does eSignal need to partner with Zen-Fire as a data provider? See the relevant link: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=173260.

Thanks for any clarification!

2. This is from Chuck_T from the thread you referenced:

"
    "The ability to trade on Zen-Fire data, from the eSignal OnDemand - Mini Futures
    platform packs an advantageous punch for CME Group retail traders. The
    combination of eSignal's comprehensive historical data, with the real-time data
    of Zen-Fire, gives traders the best of both worlds; boosting an already
    incredible trading experience for Zen-Fire Traders," says Pat Shaughnessy,
    Principal of Zen-Fire, a leading provider of professional trading solutions.
    "

In case you didn't know, Zen-fire does not provide historical data. So here, it looks like eSignal is providing the historical data and the realtime data is via Zen-fire which apparently has a better real-time exchange fee structure than eSignal's. At least thats how I interpret it.

cT

3. Thanks for the info, charlie. That's probably the reason for eSignal-ZenFire partnership. Zen-Fire has a superior feed (unfiltered), and eSignal is a good front-end for charting/trading and is providing historical.

I do have another question. Zen-Fire's big claim is that it is a super-fast and reliable trading engine (for routing client's orders to exchange). So how were the electronic future-orders routed before Zen-Fire (founded in 2004)? What were the firms before Zen-Fire's presence?

4. I'm not quite understanding your question. If you are asking what was available to the retail trader to electronically trade futures before zen-fire; there were and are a bunch of them. I personally have used: Pats Systems, Interactive Brokers, Tradestation Securities, Trading Technologies. I currently use zen-fire.

cT

5. Thanks, Charlie.

My question was more on the routing technology side. Basically I'm not very clear how the order-routing works. In Zen-Fires' case, a client use a trading platform (NT for example) to receive feed from ZF and to submit orders to ZF. Once ZF received the order, it does a number of order/account checking and route the order to the exchange. In this sense, ZF is called a trading engine. So my question is: how does this "order-routing" works before ZF came to existence?

Interactive Broker is just a broker, like Mirus. A broker cannot route orders to the exchange directly, right? If a broker can directly route the orders to the exchange, why do we need Zen-Fire?

6. emg

emg

7. emg

emg

that link above will tell you what is zen fire

8. We don't "need" zen-fire. If you trade thru Interactive Brokers software (I forget what they call it), that order will be routed without any involvement with zen-fire. If you send an order via Tradestation's software - no zen-fire. Same thing for the others I referenced. Pats and Trading Technolgies are what you are calling trading engines. Zen-fire is just another way to do it - not the only way.
    cT

9. Brokers like Interactive Brokers, Tradestation, MB Trading, TD Ameritrade and eTrade to name a few, all have there own order routing technologies. I guess you could call it proprietary technology though they often will expose their technology via an api.

Brokers like Mirus, as far as I know, down have there own order routing technologies, so they offer a 3rd party solution like zen-fire or Pats or Trading Technologies.

So breaking it down to the basics, to trade you need:
    1) Data - Realtime and/or Historical and/or end-of-day.
    2) Order routing - To various exchanges depending on what you want to trade. Some go to all exchanges and some go to just a few.
    3) Clearing firm - A Broker may or may not be a clearing firm those that aren't have some sort of relation with one though. Some clearing firms will clear at all exchanges and some will clear at just a few.

There are various ways to achieve this. This should all be factored into selecting a broker(s), a data provider and an order routing technology.

With the brokers I mentioned in the first paragraph, they are an all-in-one solution. Brokers like Mirus are not. That is not necessarily good or bad. The marketplace has room for both.

cT

10. Thanks for the detailed explanation, Charlie. Really appreciate it.

#10     Dec 30, 2010