Did you learn anything from investment guru's?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Debaser82, Dec 30, 2008.

1. No bashing please those who think they are all clowns have plenty of opportunity elsewere on et to spit their venom.

Thanks.

2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I'd just mention Bo Yoder. He was a client of mine for about 2 years, then worked for me for maybe a year and a half, this goes back to late 1999. We became pretty fast friends and I think that some of the best progress I've made as a trader came at 3am talking on the phone and just bullshitting back and forth about the stock market with Bo...hey have you ever noticed this....well I tried this, but I added that twist to it. Just stuff like that, we both made a ton of progress together doing that, and it was a ton of fun too.

3. Everything I've learned was from the market , when you lose money you start controling the emotions , big money is made on people's fear and greed , it's like in sports , you know rules but
    you need to play to be a good player.

4. i took a class from Tony Oz. It was either 8 or 13 weeks (i think). it was well worth it to watch a pro trade. the on-line seminars were on tues & thurs i think. you guys that have traded around other people dont realize how great it is for a self-taught trader to watch a real pro trade. tony oz is a good teacher and very patient, but a "no nonsense" trader & i learned alot... watching him wait until a superior entry presented itself was really enlightening.

i trade in an on-line room with appx 6 other people & i have for years now... it works great b/c we all have different approaches, but we do agree occasionally which tends to be great signal.

5. Gambitman

Gambitman

Even though I have become more and more anti-guru that does not mean there are not things that I learned from them.

Larry Williams. My first exposure to futures speculating. His emphasis on stops and money management kept me from blowing up over the years.

Mark Cook. Attended his seminar in Ohio and I would say on one level it was the worst course, and biggest waste of money that I have ever invested in. However his advice on finding a trading style that fits your personality led me to quit trading the SP (for that matter quit directionally trading altogether) and move from futures over to stocks. Realizing I was not cut out to be a directional trader and further realizing that I trade very poorly when I am fixated on one position was a real turning point for me.

Who knows, because the seminar was expensive(to me anyways) I was probably more inclined to listen closely to what was being said. If someone had given me that commons sense advice for free I probably would have ignored it:)

6. gaj

gaj

i've learned bits and pieces from a lot of places - some books and videos, some were new ideas, some were just new to me. but most took hold when i could 'see' them happening in the market.

i've learned stuff from fellow traders, none of whom are considered gurus or anything like that. but just bouncing thoughts around, usually things that only another trader could understand.

and on the same token - i've learned a lot on things i *don't* want to do or become.

7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I also learned a lot listening to Gary Kaultbaum's radio program. That was one of the things that I discovered after I was already nicely profitable, but the added fundamentals added greatly to my overall aproach.

8. DmanX

DmanX Guest

I forget who it was precisely, but the advice was to go in with a defined trading plan like you would define an order of battle.

9. Watching Daniel Gramza at work is a gift for any trader.

Over the several trading systems and concepts that I've explored, I liked his the best, and his common sense advice to traders showed me how to think like a professional.