Did you go to college and if so, how did your degree help in trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cashonly, May 12, 2005.

How helpful was college to your trading career?

1. I didn't attend college/university

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Hasn't helped at all

28 vote(s)
    31.5%
  3. Has helped somewhat

28 vote(s)
    31.5%
  4. Was very beneficial to my trading

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  5. What I learned there was critical to my trading

13 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. ozzy

ozzy

Took Electrical Engineering in school. To this day I'm still upset about having to go through all that shit. Non stop fucking assignments, tests, classes. I wish I knew a little more about trading when I was younger. I would still have gone to school but my educational path would have been completely different.

God I hate engineering.

ozzy

#11     May 12, 2005
  2. gnome

gnome

Studies in Paranormal Psychology might be helpful. Otherwise, I believe my minor in Student Union was as beneficial as anything.

#12     May 12, 2005
  3. Stuff I picked up from Cognitive Science, experimental statistics and Philosophy (Heidegger and Phil of mind) helped somewhat.

#13     May 12, 2005
  4. The most relevant experience from college to some days trading in the market was when, during frat initiation, I was bent over and taking a paddling, while continually pleading, "Thank you sir, may I have another!!" Often times that's what the market does to me too. But since I'd had the experience, I was able not to panic during my trading "initiation." :D :p :)

#14     May 12, 2005
  5. I got an undergrad degree in philosophy. There are times when I find it very comforting. :)

#15     May 12, 2005
  6. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Interesting... I wonder if Psychology majors are any better dealing with Trader's Psychology. Either that or they recognize crazy before they get sucked into the whole business :eek:

#16     May 12, 2005
  7. volente_00

volente_00

I graduated with a degree in Economics but I also took 15 hours of Psychology for a minor under another major. I loved economics because of the cycles, charts and correlations. I think the degree may have helped some, but I think I learned more from actually trading during class and skipping class to trade at the computer lab.

#17     May 12, 2005
  8. mustang

mustang

If you were a finance major or a techie, how couldn't that help. It's not going to fix an pschological issues or help you pick stocks, but it can't hurt.

#18     May 16, 2005
  9. Many things "wouldn't hurt." If you get a Phd in anthropology studying the pygmies it "wouldn't hurt." But unless you're programming a black box (in the case of a techie programmer), how would it help?? From my experience, techies and finance MBAs (let alone majors) haven't faired any better than any other group of people.

#19     May 16, 2005
  10. ozzy,

i'm going through that shit right now... i currently enrolled in a class in one of the larger majors in my school. in my discussion section of about 20-30kids. there are only 4 guys. while i'm in that class, i feel like i am actually enrolled in college.

in my engineering classes it is the exact opposite. the hottest chick in my wireless networking class is the professor (about 30) :eek: the other 4 girls out of a class of 40-50 either obese or look like other guys.

#20     May 16, 2005