Did you ever do this?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Bekim, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Bekim

Bekim

Ever try to close something out when the spreads are really wide for a net credit but accidentally do it for a net debit because you weren’t paying attention to your order ticket.
    Yeah I did that today on ABBV today ‍♂️

tommcginnis likes this.
  2. "Net credit" or "Net debit" is determined on order entry, not on closing a trade. Or am I missing something here?

3. I have to think about it :(

4. Also, what does "when the spreads are really wide" mean?

Are you talking about the bid/ask spread? What is considered wide to you?

I advise only trading very liquid markets that are a few pennies wide at the most. This reduces slippage costs drastically.

kmiklas likes this.
  5. Bekim

Bekim

No, I trade liquid and illiquid options very carefully most times except for yesterday

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

1) I appreciate your Tom Popa reference. :D

2) Most of the time, when you hear, "fat-finger mistake," it wasn't really a fat finger miss-typing an intended number, but a fat *brain* miss-conceiving what needed to happen. Then you hit (or mistakenly hit) "Go!" and a nanosecond later, the light comes all the way on, and :wtf::confused::rolleyes:.....

7. Bekim

Bekim

Yes and then you realize you just gave someone a nice pay day in a nanosecond

8. Turveyd

Turveyd

Did the opposite once, went Long I thought $10 per point 2K account, Market rallied, just watched the chart didn't check the position, well happy / excited, made 2K YESSSSSSS, time to close, bring up platform, hey where is my position, doesn't make any sense, why is there only $500 left in my account ?? ohhh crap lost $1500 and Margin called to exit :(

Only time, I've EVER went the wrong damn way aswell, typical :(

Bekim likes this.
  9. kmiklas

kmiklas

Lately I’ve been trading DELL and the spreads amaze me. It was about 80 cents at market open two days ago.... and didn’t move for a few minutes! This is effing DELL. I thought that my terminal was disconnected. :confused:

10. Bekim

Bekim

I know DIS is whacky like that. For some reason it takes a minute or 2 before it begins trading. So if you have an options position it will say it’s at 100% loss every day at market open.

#10     Jun 27, 2019