Did the Plunge Protection Team have a meeting on 9/13/08?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by The Kin, Sep 14, 2008.

Did the Plunge Protection Team have a meeting @ the New York Fed on 9/13/08?

1. Yes, the PPT had a meeting at the New York Federal Reserve Building on 9/13/08

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No, the PPT exists but they did not have a meeting on 9/13/08

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. No, the PPT does not exist

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. I don't know/I don't care/Jack Hershey has a fragile ego after a lifetime of failures

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. Well for one thing, protection from plunges could be small support for the existence of the PPT.
    If the dow closes >+100 tomorrow, then I will perhaps believe. Otherwise, I'll pass on the tinfoil hat.

#11     Sep 14, 2008
  2. Belief in the PPT does not mean that markets will never go down. Rather it is the belief that the government intervenes in the free markets.

#12     Sep 14, 2008
  3. is this inaccurate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunge_Protection_Team

Working Group on Financial Markets
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from Plunge Protection Team)
    Jump to: navigation, search

The Working Group on Financial Markets (also, President's Working Group on Financial Markets or the Working Group) was created by Executive Order 12631,[1] signed on March 18, 1988 by United States President Ronald Reagan.

The Group was established explicitly in response to events in the financial markets surrounding October 19, 1987 ("Black Monday") to give recommendations for legislative and private sector solutions for "enhancing the integrity, efficiency, orderliness, and competitiveness of [United States] financial markets and maintaining investor confidence".[1]

As established by Executive Order 12631, the Working Group consists of:

* The Secretary of the Treasury, or his designee (as Chairman of the Working Group);
    * The Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or his designee;
    * The Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, or his designee; and
    * The Chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, or her designee.

Contents
    [hide]

* 1 "Plunge Protection Team"
    * 2 Notes
    * 3 See also
    * 4 External links

[edit] "Plunge Protection Team"

One conspiracy theory regarding the Working Group refers to it as the Plunge Protection Team. This theory claims that the Working Group is an orchestrated mechanism that attempts to manipulate U.S. stock markets in the event of a market crash by using government funds to buy stocks, or other instruments such as stock index futures.[2]

The term "Plunge Protection Team" was originally the headline for an article in The Washington Post by staff writer Brett D. Fromson, published on Sunday, February 23, 1997.[3] He did not invent the term. It was added later by a copy desk editor as a sensational nickname for the Working Group.

#13     Sep 15, 2008