Did the Germans Really......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oddiduro, Dec 29, 2008.

1. try to overthrow Hitler?

Or is this revisionist history to make us all feel better?

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_20_Plot

20 July plot

The 20 July plot of 1944 was a failed attempt to assassinate Adolf Hitler, the leader of Nazi Germany, inside the Wolfsschanze near Rastenburg (East Prussia), in order to take power by means of an emergency plan called Operation Valkyrie (Unternehmen Walküre). Operation Valkyrie was approved by Hitler himself and, at face value, it was intended to be used in the event that disruption caused by the Allied bombing of German cities resulted in a breakdown in law and order. Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg played the key role in the plot and was in charge of Operation Valkyrie. Because of his position, von Stauffenberg was allowed access to Hitler to make reports and for carrying out the other intended use of Operation Valkyrie.

The 20 July plot was the culmination of the efforts of the German Resistance to overthrow the Nazi regime. Its failure, both in Hitler's "Wolf's Lair" (Wolfsschanze) Headquarters and then in Berlin's Bendlerblock, led to the arrest of at least 7,000 people by the Gestapo [1]. According to records of the Fuerhrer Conferences on Naval Affairs, 4,980 persons were executed [2] which ultimately led to the destruction of the resistance movement.

3. I would highly recommend the movie.

Also there were over 15 assassination attempts on Hitler's life.

There is a memorial in Germany that is called the German resistance which honors the men who tried to overthrough Hitler.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm assuming you mean the movie coming out?

I believe there were 42 known plots to assassinate Hitler. At least one was a British plot using snipers. If I'm not mistaken I think most of the plots originated from inside the Reich.

5. You should read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". Great book, a very detailed history of how Hitler rose to power and maintained. Discussed the plot in details.

This is why Obama scares me so much. I'm not comparing him to Hitler but the similarities between the two coming to power are very similiar.

Obama is woefully unqualified for the position as was Hitler and each only came to power due to the state of the state being in chaos.

Without having the sad state of affairs 1930's Germany and 2008 America to exploit neither would have made it past the valet in the parking lot.

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Agreed.

7. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Obama turning into Hitler. Have you noticed who his followers are? Liberals are entirely anti-police state. If they had it their way they would keep decreasing the power and size of police. If Obama was to actually atempt the mobilization Hitler made he would lose his popularity faster than the Illinois governor.

8. know your enemy ... assume he knows you

http://www.dhonline.com/articles/2008/12/28/news/local/1aaa02_road.txt