Did Technical Analysis Exist back in the 1930's?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by GabbyJay, Dec 15, 2008.

1. BSAM

BSAM

No. Most people back then were very, very stupid. Most of them didn't even know how to use their microwave oven.

#11     Dec 15, 2008
  2. Let's not forget Richard Wyckoff, one of the classics.

#12     Dec 15, 2008
  3. If you want REALLY old TA, back to the middle ages before even Jack was born, look at the significance of the gold-to-silver price ratio.

#13     Dec 15, 2008
  4. GabbyJay

GabbyJay

Here's my question...

Were the patterns we see in TA still around back in the 20's and 30's like support and resistance?

Or is this just a more recent phenomena?

#14     Dec 15, 2008
  5. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I wasnt around back then (I don't think the guy in the AG Edwards commercial was either. (As a side note don't you love that commercial, the two guys meeting in the coffee shop, the smart broker telling the scared client that "Well in my experience with this type of market the best thing to do is...." Is he 92 years old? Coz he'd have to be to have experience in "this type of market"....so anyway end of rant). I've read about people using P&F charts in the pits way back in the 1800's and early 1900's even. I cant vouch for it since I was gone that day though :)

#15     Dec 15, 2008
  6. Sure of course they were. Depends on how you define S/R. Whether that be old high, lows, or swing high, lows, etc. I don't know when pivot points where, but I believe it was after the 30's.

#16     Dec 15, 2008
  7. That was Edward Jones. What a firm. My wife's employer has a 401k with them . Stevie Cohen's fees are lower. I have her in the money market, and after fees, we owe money. No joke. We actually pay.

Amazing they get away with the shit they do.

"Gee , Bob. thanks for coming in early and helping me out."

"No problem, Jim. Jeanne left me after we lost the house, so I sleep here anyway. Now. About your portfolio."

#17     Dec 15, 2008
  8. GabbyJay

GabbyJay

This is very insightful information.

I always wondered why support and resistance would even come about.

To me, it's still a phenomena from a human perspective on how s/r truly comes about from people like you and me.

#18     Dec 15, 2008
  9. :D

#19     Dec 15, 2008
  10. Why would TA patterns NOT exist back in the 20's and 30's???

Your logic doesn't make any sense.

#20     Dec 15, 2008