Did my first 100 lot today

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Cutten, Feb 12, 2004.

1. YYNOTT

YYNOTT

Congratulations.

#21     Feb 14, 2004
  2. Ummm... is it really congrats???

If he really had the capability of doing a 100 lot and didn't????

Isn't that weird???

He admits he has fear???

Is it really something to claim he overcame it with one trade???

Why does Cutten have to start a thread on ET to start off with... isn't the intentions kinda... deferred???

Putting the critical thought aside...

:D ... NICE but Plz watch out... considering some intentional and psychological factors...

#22     Feb 14, 2004
  3. Cutten

My question is are you going to continue now at 100 or are you going back down to regular size?

It seems to me that once you make the commitment to do 100's the worst thing that can happen now is to go back and forth between sizes as eventually a loss at that size will hurt more if you do not offset it with your regular win ratio.

I would be very interested in knowing how you plan on handling this success.

BTW .... Congrats (I think) I hope it ends up being a GOOD experiment for you.

I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of courage.

#23     Feb 14, 2004
  4. he may be a chump, but at least he has some chump change jingling in his pockets :)..

nice trade imo.. you have to start somewhere.. be careful that using inconsistent size doesnt kill your R:R ratio though.. congrats.. :)

-qwik

#24     Feb 14, 2004
  5. Cutten,

I guess you got LUCKY that it went your way for the most part. It could have easily gone the other way and then what? Scary thoughts.

I think what the problem was is that you were litterally 1 tick away from you target(98). And you didn't even take profits at 97.
    Geez. Don't be picky. Just get out. But no, you let the rest of it comes way back down.

I'm not saying I haven't done that kind of mistakes before. It's easy in hindsight, but harder in real time. I know. I know. :)

I guess size is a problem when you are trading discretionary. Good trading systems can scale easily as long as there's liquidity(in most bond futures market, there is plenty of liquidity!) and enough capital in the account. And I guess I know now why Wall St likes quant traders nowaday. It takes the emotional guessing part out of the entire process.

Too bad, it's not that easy to make a good trading system. For now, we gotta deal with our emotions.

Good luck!

misc

#25     Feb 14, 2004
  6. Pabst

Pabst

WTF! Cutten trades some size, gives a complete account of both the market action and how he reacts to it and gets shit on here. Gee, thanks for SHARING!! Cleasrly this wasn't a revenge trade or a hail Mary but had a clearly defined risk. My horseshit advice is chill out for a few days on the size Bro. You're obviously quite skilled, it will continue to come.

#26     Feb 14, 2004
  7. cosmic

cosmic

congrats for leaving your comfort zone, only there real growth can begin....

all my best,
    cosmic

ps: thanks for sharing such experiences, we all can learn from that...

#27     Feb 14, 2004
  8. Cutten,

That was a great first post. When we trade smaller we get conditioned to the variance in P&L. Increased size can play havoc w/ discipline and emotion.

Just think, you learned an invaluable lesson, and on the cheap. All in all an incredibly profitable trade!

Blue

#28     Feb 14, 2004
  9. pjs

pjs

i look forward to your first 200 lot. way to go. forget the sniping. teach yourself.

#29     Feb 14, 2004
  10. Quiet1

Quiet1

Cutten,

most of the responses to your trade are pretty idiotic aren't they? as a 20/40 lot bund trader you're more than good enough to know what you're doing...if jolting your psychology through a size barrier buy scaling up 5 times is the way to do it for you then that's fine!

some people just seem to read "trading rules" in books and websites and then spout them willy-nilly without first using their critical faculties...if they ever had any in the first place...

thanks for recounting your experience with this method - hopefully, longer term, it has the desired effect for you.

good trading,

Q1

#30     Feb 15, 2004