Did IB get freaked out so it still holds 100% intraday margin in some markets?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Trader_Herry, Nov 1, 2007.

Should IB still hold 100% intraday margin?

1. No. IB shouldn't hold 100% intraday margin. IB should bring them down to 50%

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. Yes. IB should still hold 100% intraday margin even though IB will liquidate your positions instantl

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Where did you go? Is it a secret? Can you give us an example of "ineptitude" or "arrogance"?

OldTrader

#11     Nov 2, 2007
  2. tortoise

tortoise

I think this thread, and others circulating around ET offer numerous examples. And I'm not won over by the snarky tone of IB reps here on ET (including the individual who contributed to this thread). The crazy, buggy TWS, too, is hardly a selling point, as well as the all-too-frequent data outages -- far more numerous than I'd experienced with TradeStation, for example -- and the next-to-nothing customer support.

The coup de grace, for me, was the margin malarky. After that, I'd had enough

I'm now clearing through TransAct and my experience, thus far, has been flawless. Commissions are lower than IB's. Tech support answers the phone on the first or second ring. Data feed is fast and stable. Their AT platform is clean, swift, and, so far as I tell, deliciously bug-free.

#12     Nov 2, 2007
  3. I for one am glad you've gone Tortoise. Can you take some of the twats, whingers, and wankers with you please?

You might also take the more stupid newbies and those who are so under-capitalised that this increase in margin makes them squirm. It would be a whole lot better for the experienced traders.

Cheers :)

PS. Please feel free not to come back.

#13     Nov 2, 2007
  4. tortoise

tortoise

I find this fascinating -- the passion, the invective. And over a broker. For heaven's sake, I've received hate PMs on this subject. I mean, people, what is the deal here?

Clearly, a nerve has been struck. But why? Those who are truly comfortable with their choices have no need to -- or interest in -- berating "wankers"; they've got bigger fish to fry. At the same time, no one is forcing them to stay at IB.

One wonders if these individuals are more adept at controlling their emotions during the trading session than they are after hours, if confronted by a "wanker" who chooses to question the primacy of Interactive Brokers.

I certainly hope not :D

#14     Nov 2, 2007
  5. maxpi

maxpi

It's the API... if there were other brokers with API's that software developers were building to there would be some competition... I can't do a thing with TWS, it's ugly, I like to use NinjaTrader with IB but I can't program the thing much so I am working up things in Multicharts.. which only works with IB [so far]..

Are there other discount brokers with an API that Multicharts could program to eventually?

#15     Nov 2, 2007
  6. tortoise

tortoise

Good point about the API. That's starting to change, though, For example, Multicharts will, in fact, run off TransAct data.

#16     Nov 2, 2007
  7. Most of the complaints about margin come from the same folks that Gamblers Anonymous attempt to cure.

[​IMG]

No margin at the track either, you risk $2, you put up the deuce.

#17     Nov 2, 2007

8. LMAO.

I didn't classify you as a wanker. But I am happy to now classify you as a twat.

No nerve struck. I just get a bit of fun from baiting twats like you.

And I repeat the wish that you take your fellow wankers and twats with you.

Good riddance :)

#18     Nov 2, 2007
  9. tortoise

tortoise

Perhaps. I am not, however, among them.

#19     Nov 2, 2007
  10. Sierra Chart will now run with a wide range of brokers.

What was interesting was that when each new one arrived there were people waiting eagerly to take them. And then there was a honeymoon period of warm statements and praise. And finally, maturity and the problems come out.

All brokers have problems.

And, no doubt, a percentage of their customers are wankers and twats. Although IB do seem to get more than their fair share. :)

#20     Nov 2, 2007