Did Fastow Pull A Fast One?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jan 15, 2004.

1. I saw a column in Marketwatch excoriating the Fastows' plea bargains:

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={B11AEC6F-BD2E-4222-BB74-82A2BFA8B076}&siteid=mktw

Lot of class envy and hatred welling up in that article. I don't doubt they are dirtballs that deserve to clean toilets the rest of their lives, but Andy copped to a 10 year federal sentence. There is no parole in the federal system either, so he will be there for the full 10, assuming there are no Marc Rich-type pardons for sale. That strikes me as a pretty long sentence for some regulatory violations that involved the biggest banks in the country. Last time I looked, the banks had the best lawyers in the country to sign off on these types of deals, so I would think Fastow had at least an argument that he had good reason to believe everything was legal, if not exactly above-board.

The government lawyers are taking seemingly forever to get these cases ready. Skilling and Ken Lay have not even been indicted yet. Worldcom and Cendant are two other frustrating fraud cases that have never been prosecuted. But by golly, they have the resources to go after Martha Stewart for fibbing about a broker's instructions. Odd.

2. Babak

Babak

I think they went for the plea bargain with Fastow and his wife so that they could then have them turn evidence against the big guys (Lay, etc.). That is atleast what I'm hoping. We'll see.

3. ElCubano

ElCubano

Oh yeah and dont forget he has to fork over some $30mill..... probably a pittance of what he robbed.....and where is he going to serve his prison term?? thats huge .....