Did Ben Say Anything Different?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Totally disagree. At first, Ben was pushing the idea of taper, then he was saying whoa, guys. We're not tapering yet. Now he's essentially admitting he doesn't know what the hell to do. Taper on, Taper off. We'll see how the economy does. Get back to me in 14.

#21     Jul 17, 2013
  2. Josef K

Josef K

Well, you're wrong. From June 19th:

"Mr. Bernanke continued the theme into his press conference, stating again that if economic conditions continue to improve, the Fed will begin tapering its bond purchases at the end of the year.

He did put a little more flesh on the bond tapering plan: may gradually reduce purchases later this year...will continue to reduce purchases through next year...may end in the middle of next year...will end purchases when unemployment is near seven percent.

But time and again he emphasized the pace was data dependent: if conditions improve faster than expected, reduction in bond purchases can accelerate. If conditions worsen, purchases could even increase."

[Emphasis added.]

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100829208

The reason you think the way you do, and the reason the market tanked after Bernanke's June speech, is because just about everyone ignored the part about his speech that I highlighted.

#22     Jul 17, 2013
  3. Maybe. But then again, who's going to be the one to start the war against the fed? Who's pockets are deepest?

#23     Jul 17, 2013
  4. ben is mr bojangles of wall street. he thinks they don't understand him and they make a ton of money playing him out. he talks about telling wall street everything he plans so no bubbles happen. he also said he does not favor wall street but when stocks move down the fed comes out talking and talking until it stops. its the first time in awhile i heard government call him out about it to his face even.

you can't have markets at all time highs and than say its fragile and not call it a bubble.

#24     Jul 17, 2013
  5. vicirek

vicirek

One has to separate two things.

One is that the Fed has to provide support for the Government and big dealer Banks forever.

Second is that he cannot admit this. This is his job and he is paid for being good actor.

#25     Jul 17, 2013
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Ah yes, you're the oracle out of all of us. Friends, let us bow to the prognosticator of our times!

#26     Jul 17, 2013
  7. Josef K

Josef K

Huh? I didn't make a prediction, I gave what I think is the reason for happened in the past. Do you have a better reason for what happened?

#27     Jul 17, 2013