Did anyone witness ETF delisting - from start to finish?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by datriledro, Jul 24, 2020.

1. I am wondering about price fluctuations in last month but also in case somebody held it till the end, how much did they pay them in cash compared to final closing price on last day of ETF trading.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. jharmon

jharmon

You probably are more interested in looking at the NAV/IOPV versus the ETF price versus the liquidation price You might get a mismatch there. But watch out for ETFs where the trading hours/settlement time of the holdings are different from the ETF trading hours.

Could be a useful arb for spare cash.

3. Yeah, beside making possible profit on fluctuations as active investor I'd also would like to ask how it looks when somebody holds it until the end. Assuming that they announced that delisting materialize in 30 days, in theory, is it better to sell on day 1 or hold until it closes and wait for cash from physical delisting? I guess that most people would start selling immediately causing ETF price to go down but if it's physical ETF that is backed by underlying assets, then cash received from delisting shouldn't go below value of those underlying assets on day of delisting anyway?

4. jharmon

jharmon

It really depends how quickly they can sell off. They might try and sell it off over multiple days, or just hit the close. There's not much incentive for them to give you the best price - they're trying to wind up the fund.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. %%
    Something like that;
    swiss bank ubs if I remember right closed wti[west tx oil x3].NO problem, but I never wait till last minute unless its a buy sometimes. And even the, its usually a scale in
    DEADLINES /last minute /not so much drama for me...……………………………………………………………………………………….[Cant think of anything that pays better @ last minute /if you factor in late fees/missed opportunities]