Did any technicals predict the melt down?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Saltynuts, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Technicals were forecasting meltdown since 2010 I agree with 777 good people did not listened. Technicals always lag. This selling was about hedging volatility ETFs as they precipitously dropped. Best article I have read about this here. I like the tile Derivatives of Derivatives of Derivatives LOL

#61     Feb 11, 2018
  2. SunTrader

SunTrader

No it is not the only one. But even if it was slowing momentum by itself does not tell the whole story.

Momentum can slow and resume without any dramatic change in price. Happens all the time.

#62     Feb 11, 2018
  3. tomorton

tomorton

All talk about predicting in the markets makes me really uncomfortable. It suggests we really should do something because an event is predicted, while if an event is not predicted we are correct in doing nothing.

A trader should always be anticipating a counter-trend move. I don't say correction or crash or flash-crash or melt-down or pull-back because you can't know it definitely is one of these things until the others have been eliminated by price movement. And then its rather too late.

The simplest way to anticipate adverse price movement is with a stop-loss. Who would seriously consider holding without a stop-loss?

#63     Feb 11, 2018
  4. Ditto.

I don't believe the crashette was telegraphed other than "something like this was due and bound to happen sometime".

However... a trader could have been pretty much "on it" buy taking the technical trades as they occurred (with no expectations beyond a "normal move") and then have become favorably caught up in the decline.

A poster recently said something about "catching momentum". Well, "chasing mo in high volatility" is easier said than done. A big move is more likely one where the monemtum "catches you" rather than the other way around.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    #64     Feb 11, 2018
  5. nope. i use support and resistance. no indicator. i saw the first sign of trouble at the end of janaury on my trading account when i got stop out on majority of my position. i have a particular type of skills. i just not only made an educated guess, i back it up with my action by moving all my money out of 401k. and also on my trading account, i began shorting the market. don't hate the playa, hate the game.

#65     Feb 11, 2018
  6. Like I said it's not perfect... works for me tho

#66     Feb 11, 2018
  7. schweiz

schweiz

"Traders" who are averaging down. They only use total loss, no stop loss.
    :D

#67     Feb 11, 2018
    Jzwu2017, SunTrader and tomorton like this.
  8. Neuroway

Neuroway

Fair enough. I hate neither the player nor the game. Happy trails, Vincent.

#68     Feb 11, 2018
  9. %%
    IBD suggests consider selling @ top of channel, but that is small caps, many of his top trenders are semi liquid@ best. A good liquid tech uptrend/ bull market will hit the top of the channel so much, i dont sell tech like i would a weaker sector or average. Also 2017 was a bit unusual in the few/shallow corrections. NOT a prediction ,some are selling GE again @ bottom of channel .:cool::cool:

#69     Feb 12, 2018
  10. Yeah, that happened a lot last year. Prices would reach the top of a channel and experience a really minor downmove. I'm speaking of the index futures, by the way.

#70     Feb 12, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.