Did any technicals predict the melt down?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Saltynuts, Feb 8, 2018.

1. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Fed speak could bang the algos higher but the silence and somewhat contrary fed speak from reformed doves signals a change or shift from a very tight fed put. Of course inflation data has changed as well and hike was stll 80% last time I checked.
    Wonder how algos reacted to US treasury sec. tone deaf, gas on the fire, comment supporting
    lower USD .....Whoops!

#51     Feb 9, 2018
  2. zero

#52     Feb 10, 2018
  3. IVx

IVx

I watched a facebook video release from Saxo bank in which the analyst pointed out several technicals which suggested a bubble in stocks. Parabolic behaviour was the one which seemed to me to be most revealing. His main point was that a correction in Q1 was likely - which is not quite a specific timeframe, but I watched the vid the day before carnage ....

#53     Feb 10, 2018
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

So you were long also huh?

#54     Feb 10, 2018
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Yeap, I call it going vertical. But it is very hard to actually pinpoint the exact top, when you say no more upside is left.

For example Bitcoin also went vertical in Nov-Dec. I was damn sure it was topping at 16K the chart was already vertical, yet it still went 25% higher.

#55     Feb 10, 2018
    piezoe likes this.
  6. Cabin111

Cabin111

I think a lot had to do with the bond market. Just me. Congress did not touch (at all) their spending issues. I just happened to look up CD rates the other day...You can get a 2.3% two year CD at Wells Fargo...FDIC insured. I believe many retirees who walked (ran) into the market...Ran out of the market for safety!! Many will not return when the Fed raises their rates. You look at retirees putting their money into something like GE (safe, solid returns...safe dividend...not), they will not be back. Or they will be back owning something like a S&P 500 index fund...But many will flee to safety and not return...

#56     Feb 10, 2018
  7. comagnum

comagnum

The average retiree needs much higher returns than 2.3% to live on.

#57     Feb 10, 2018
  8. Neuroway

Neuroway

No. You guessed it. Just like you can guess that Black's move will be e5 if White is e4 at the start of a game. This ain't no prediction at all. It's an educated guess. Nobody can predict anything.

#58     Feb 10, 2018
  9. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

Credit creation. That’s all that needs to be said. If you need to ask why, don’t bother asking me.

#59     Feb 11, 2018
  10. Tbh ttm wave indicator is the only indicator that shows slowing of momentum as it's happening as apposed to after it has already happened. I love that indicator. It's not fool proof but many of the time can predict tops/bottoms.

#60     Feb 11, 2018