Did any technicals predict the melt down?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Saltynuts, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

See above.

#41     Feb 9, 2018
  2. cole_

cole_

#42     Feb 9, 2018
  3. volpri

volpri

Abstract art. We can now dub him “the painter”

#43     Feb 9, 2018
  4. Well, my analysis showed that the market would decline but I didn't think that it would be this bad. What I did was draw a long-term trend channel and prices reached the top of the channel. Personally, I thought that the ES (for instance) would fall to 2700 before rebounding but the price fall took out the bottom of the channel. I even expected a period of consolidation before any weakness but the market sold off almost immediately.

So, I wouldn't say that my technicals predicted the huge selloff but it did indicate weakness in the near future. Going from history, whenever any of the indexes reached the top of a channel, there would be weakness but nothing major.

#44     Feb 9, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Then you were looking at a different history than what my charts show.

#45     Feb 9, 2018
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Speaking of today, the answer is yes. I have been saying that we would visit the low of Sunday night and today we did. It is simply the chart pattern of a quick meltdown, after a decent bounce price goes back to the previous low. It also happened after the Flash Crash.

#46     Feb 9, 2018
  7. Does it count if it doesn't touch? We missed Monday's low by 5 ticks.

#47     Feb 9, 2018
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

You funny...

#48     Feb 9, 2018
  9. %%
    Good points;
    but op needs to learn markets are not really about prediction. He could start with a 200 day moving average. But like IBD[Investors Business Daily ]noted ,easy to manipulate 30 stocks /DOW, DIA. No wonder SPY/S& P 500 is the main benchmark. NOT a prediction ;some do forecast weather but no one calls it weather prediction. Good question, salty.

#49     Feb 9, 2018
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

Odds of algos bugging and causing such shit show?

#50     Feb 9, 2018