Diagnosing the Republican Brain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 3, 2012.

1. We all know that many American conservatives have issues with Charles Darwin, and the theory of evolution. But Albert Einstein, and the theory of relativity?

If you're surprised, allow me to introduce Conservapedia, the right-wing answer to Wikipedia and ground zero for all that is scientifically and factually inaccurate, for political reasons, on the Internet.

Claiming over 285 million page views since its 2006 inception, Conservapedia is the creation of Andrew Schlafly, a lawyer, engineer, homeschooler, and one of six children of Phyllis Schlafly, the anti-feminist and anti-abortion rights activist who successfully battled the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1970s. In his mother's heyday, conservative activists were establishing vast mailing lists and newsletters, and rallying the troops. Her son learned that they also had to marshal "truth" to their side, now achieved not through the mail but the Web.

So when Schafly realized that Wikipedia was using BCE ("Before Common Era") rather than BC ("Before Christ") to date historical events, he'd had enough. He decided to create his own contrary fact repository, declaring, "It's impossible for an encyclopedia to be neutral." Conservapedia definitely isn't neutral about science. Its 37,000 plus pages of content include items attacking evolution and global warming, wrongly claiming (contrary to psychological consensus) that homosexuality is a choice and tied to mental disorders, and incorrectly asserting (contrary to medical consensus) that abortion causes breast cancer.

The whopper, though, has to be Conservapedia's nearly 6,000 word, equation-filled entry on the theory of relativity. It's accompanied by a long webpage of "counterexamples" to Einstein's great scientific edifice, which merges insights like E=mc2 (part of the special theory of relativity) with his later account of gravitation (the general theory of relativity).
    "Virtually no one who is taught and believes Relativity continues to read the Bible, a book that outsells New York Times bestsellers by a hundred-fold," Conservapedia continues.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/chris-mooney-republican-brain-science-denial

2. achilles28

achilles28

Do you even trade?

3. Brass

Brass

The go-to argument when you got nothing:

4. do i trade many times every day? no.

It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon.

Jesse Livermore

5. achilles28

achilles28

So you're a swing trader? Do you trade for a living? Or your 401k? What?

6. Brass

Brass

Yeah, Free Trader, we demand to know. And if you wear insoles, are they beige?

7. achilles28

achilles28

Your average post count is 14.50 a day. Why are you wasting what precious time you have on this earth posting incessant garbage on a trading website, when you don't even trade? A pathetic existence, wouldn't you agree?

8. achilles28

achilles28

That goes for you too. Do you even trade? I bet you don't.... Just another loser with no friends, and no life, pissing away his time in fruitless internet battles to numb the pain from his meaningless existence.... Maybe you should get out more? Find a woman? Date? Get married?

9. Brass

Brass

The go-to argument continues, but with a twist:

10. achilles28

achilles28

You're pathetic, dude. Everyone can see it....

#10     Apr 3, 2012