DFW: Unrepresented Based On Population?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by luckydan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. luckydan

luckydan

The problem with population statistics is if a region is greatly split up into smaller cities like Dallas/Fort Worth is, the population statistics don't seem as large. If you look at the largest cities in the U.S., you have to also look at which cities are right next to them. Looking at the list of the largest cities provided by infoplease, you will notice that no other area has as many large cities right next to each other than Dallas. When I say right next to each other, I'm talking within a 5-20 minute drive. The time it takes you to drive to your favorite restaraunt in the area.

Looking at the cities on the top 50 most populated city list, there are no other major city out of Illinois close to Chicago. The same thing applies to New York City. Houston, Austin and San Antonio are hours away from each other in regards to driving distance. The only real exception is probably California in regards to large cities being close to one another.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

The DFW area (including the largest cities from the top 50 list only, in a 5-20 minute drive radius)

Arlington, TX
    population: 362,805 (previous 10 yr: 27.2% growth)

Fort Worth, TX
    population: 624,067 (previous 10 yr: 19.5% growth)

Dallas, TX
    population: 1,213,825 (previous 10 yr: 18% growth)

======================

Total estimated population: 2,200,697+

If you review the data, you will see that the Dallas/Fort Worth area is actually in the top 4.

1. NYC
    2. LA
    3. Chicago
    4. DFW

With that said. Why is Dallas so unrepresented with prop shops?

Between NYC, LA and Chicago, there are tons of prop shops. Yet in Dallas there aren't any? Maybe 1 that nobody has heard about.

I think if Dallas combined Arlington and Fort Worth as well, people would get that they are all right next to each other and that this region is huge. But since they are separated, nobody seems to look on a map to realize that a prop shop in Dallas would get interest from Fort Worth and Arlington as well. It would take someone in Arlington or Fort Worth around 5-20 minutes to drive into Dallas depending on location and traffic.

Whereas it would take someone hours to drive from Houston to San Antonio to Austin, no matter which way.

So DFW is being misrepresented I think because of the split in the area. They should just name it all Dallas. :p

DFW is larger than Boston, Vegas, Atlanta and Miami combined! Yet you got prop shops in Boston, Vegas, Atlanta and Miami and not much in DFW????

Can someone please explain this? I always thought a city's population played at least some small factor in justification for a business venture.

2. Doesn't Bright Trading have an office in Dallas off of 75 Central, 635 and Coit Road? What about All-Tech, ProTrader and Momentum? That's four prop shops total in the area to choose from.

3. sub0

sub0

All those shops are closed. There aren't any prop shops in Dallas.

4. Chicago has several of those collar communities that you speak of. The largest of these is Gary which is less than 15 minutes away by the Skyway. Just south of the city limits are immediately, communities.

Riverdale, Dolton, Harvey, Markham, Hazel Crest, Homewood, Olympia Fields, Matteson, Richton Park. Straight line, all connected. You actually never leave residential districts. When you add in these and others that are all contiguous, you easily get a few million souls who aren't counted as Chicagoans. And that's just south of the city. You can do this both west and north using your 15 minute drive criterion.

Now, being a fairly new resident of Dallas (five years), I do understand your statement though. And the area could/should be able to support an office or two if done properly. :)

5. JayS

JayS

You also have these "continuous" communities in Houston. Draw a dot in the center of Houston and go out 50+ miles in every direction (N,S,E,W) and you have MILLIONS more than they use for reporting. From Galveston to The Woodlands and Katy to almost the Louisiana border, lol. Most of the major cities in the US are like this.

6. JayS

JayS

p.s Its etimated that the Houston population is 2 million while the "Greater" Houston area is around 5.5 million.

7. Chicago has several of those collar communities that you speak of. The largest of these is Gary which is less than 15 minutes away by the Skyway. Just south of the city limits are immediately, communities.

Riverdale, Dolton, Harvey, Markham, Hazel Crest, Homewood, Olympia Fields, Matteson, Richton Park. Straight line, all connected. You actually never leave residential districts. When you add in these and others that are all contiguous, you easily get a few million souls who aren't counted as Chicagoans. And that's just south of the city. You can do this both west and north using your 15 minute drive criterion.

15 minutes to Gary? You haven't been on the Skyway lately. Maybe at 2 in the morning. Not that I'd want to travel to Gary anytime, let alone 2am.
    Your point is well taken though. Just had to get a jab in on the travel time.:D

8. I think you guys are missing his point. Clearly Chicago is at the top of the list, regardless of what the surrounding cities are. But if you look at just the top 50 cities on the list, 2 cities are next to Dallas. This would indicate that there are 3 cities in the DFW area that are on the top 50 list. Then the surrounding cities around those cities would make up the greater DFW area and would likely equate to around 6 million or so placing the entire region as a whole, towards the top of the list. This isn't including all the small surrounding cities, and doesn't even require going 50 miles out.

Still, not as much as Chicago or NYC's greater region, but comparitively up there.

9. DFW is a no culture, flat wasteland of a shit hole.

That's why.

:D