Dexa scan (Brian Shaw)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by luisHK, Mar 8, 2019.

1. luisHK

luisHK

Not that obvious to guess Body Fat, below is a video of Brian Shaw going for a Dexa scan and reading the results. The guy is overly massive but carries quite a bit of fat, including big belly. He came just at 22% BF@around 440lbs (not sure he meant in the current scan, but he apparently was fatter 1 year earlier), I thought he would come fatter.

Posters are welcome to add more links about dexa scan from other athletes.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

22% might not sound like much but when you're 440lbs, 22% is 97lbs of fat!

3. luisHK

luisHK

Yeah, you could make 4 reasonably sized girls out of Shaw, so every part of him will be heavy.
    Hafthor at the same weight must be well below 20% than, he doesn't look very lean but quite a bit more athletic than Shaw. Hard to judge when those guys also carry so much muscle mass.
    Watched much of the Arnolds strongman last week end and it was great.

From the Arnolds festival, a selection from the animal cage, it starts with Steffi Cohen, that little lady was more impressive than ever. Malanichev showed up for some heavy squats as well, i didn't know he was still lifting :

4. To believe this result it follows that you must also believe that after 75lb fat loss he would measure a lean 5% BF @ around 360lbs :)

5. luisHK

luisHK

In case someone wonder what kind of diet is needed to build those 440lbs, here's a video of Brian Shaw 1 day of eating. That takes a lot of time to shop, prepare and eat. No surprise those big lifters often mention eating as an integral and rather difficult part of their training. Haftor Bjornsson has half his face paralysed and it seems to be way more time consuming for him to chew and swallow.
    That video is 1 year old btw, noticed there is a more recent video of Shaw eating 9000cal per day, wonder if he felt hungry after that 9000cal day, will watch it later.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Wow, eating that much looks like such a pain. He's putting down almost triple his daily maintenance calories.

7. luisHK

luisHK

I don't know about his daily maintenance calories but that seems like a lot of food to ingest indeed. Wonder how much time of his day is spent around eating, as well as how he can digest so much protein shake. Again those big lifters seem to take eating as an integral part of their training, and not always a fun one. At least he doesn't have to eat lean and can mix sauces in his dishes, but I'd be nauseous if faced with his 3000+ calories take away meal.
    Wish him best as well as other strongmen, what those guys push and pull is awesome, but that looks very unhealthy.

8. tango29

tango29

Competitive swimmers have a similar large increase in caloric intake when they are training. I was amazed how much food one of our sons and his swim team members inhaled during the season and for most of them it was still a challenge to maintain weight. The problem for them was when the season ended and adjusting their eating levels to a more normal level or level appropriate for the next sport.

9. luisHK

luisHK

Yes, swimmers are know to absorb huge amount of food. Phelps was famous for eating 12000 calories per day as well. Can't say i studied much nutrition but it doesn't sound as unhealthy as for heavy strength athletes. I suspect for swimmers it is a very high carbs diet and much of it is burnt through exercises, swimmers are a lean bunch.
    Very high protein diet present risks to kidneys and blood pressure, plus heavy weight strongmen often carry significant amounts of fat besides unnatural amounts of muscles, which is also unhealthy. Add to this large amount of drugs to get and stay at the top level, those guys much be way less healthy than swimmers. Doubt most of them will live as long as Schwarzenegger although I certainly wish they do.

10. luisHK

luisHK

A video of Cyplenkov just came out, he is one of if not the top arm wrestlers in the world, also known as the human Hulk. He is hospitalised and will stay out of competition for a while, doesn't explain what he has although it's several times explained it is training related and @8.35 he alludes it has to do with messed up heart and other organ functions, imo from drugs, and that he along many other athletes rather not check those, a bit like the ostrich burying its head, although i'm not sure it is true many competitors rather not monitor their health. The guy is usually huge but lean btw, he seems to have lost quite a bit of weight since his prime .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    #10     Mar 11, 2019