Developing trading systems

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Murray Ruggiero, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

this is what i've expected. most people on this thread will laugh and giggle about the 20 lines of code systems.

i've seen "pro" traders with 20 yrs experience without the slightest clue about systematic trading.

hedge fund managers, the same. some think backtesting is flawed by design, while 3 month records of some young dude who just got lucky has merit.

#11     Aug 10, 2011
  2. The best system I have ever developed is 4 lines of code (EL). Sell and reverse trend following type of a thing. Unbelievable performance.

#12     Aug 10, 2011
  3. DT-waw

DT-waw

wow, the first thing i agree with intradaybill ;-)
    looking at gold, eurchf long term charts its very easy for simple trend following sys to make huge money. but it requires patience.
    most traders want to be rich next week trading with max leverage.

#13     Aug 10, 2011
  4. This post may qualify for the stupiest one ever in ET.

When you manipulate price data, do you see temperature, pirates and such anywhere? Indicators based on price and volume are relevant. Do you know what relevancy means in statistical modelling? Actually, when manipulating price data strict relevance is maintained. Of course there is optimization and data snooping problems but not of the silly sort you spewed.

Think before you type or ask someone who is an expert.

#14     Aug 10, 2011
  5. I agree. Why should we always fight? We should agree once in a while.:)

Simplicity is King.

#15     Aug 10, 2011
  6. DT-waw

DT-waw

Take a look at the equity curve of one of my euro curr. futures system.

Yes, it is traded live for over a year. But this fact totally does not matter! its still the same system, traded live or not.
    traded live without any prior out-of-sample or walk-forward testing.

you can do the same system just using the combination of few built in studies in TS.

99.9% of hedge fund managers are unable to do a similar thing. they must hire $200k /yr wannabes from top schools and finish a year with 5% return and 30% drawdown during a year.

#16     Aug 10, 2011
  7. a5519

a5519

So you are not using "number of pirates" indicator in your trading system? An you pretend to be an expert?

#17     Aug 10, 2011
  8. Bill is an expert on everything! :D

What? You didn't know he was the resident expert here? You're obviously one of the idiots on this site then... sorry to break the news to you.

#18     Aug 10, 2011
  9. Question: How do you determine when a system that used to work, no longer works and should not be used again? What criteria besides number of losses should you use to determine that it is no longer effective?

Basically, how do you differentiate between a drawdown and a broken system?

#19     Aug 10, 2011
  10. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

For example my intermarket divergence systems start as four line systems. I will show you an example soon which has worked since the 1990's and can be written in four lines.

#20     Aug 10, 2011