Developing Trading Systems on a basket

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Murray Ruggiero, Sep 8, 2005.

Do you trade a portfolio based system ?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. There is generally a rule against spamming. But MR is a paid sponsor of the site, so he naturally gets to promote his products and services. You can see that he's a paid sponsor by the fact that "TraderStudio" [his company name] appears below his name.

Those are Baron's rules, so that's what I follow.

This does not mean, however, that his products cannot be discussed or even criticized.

It DOES mean that personal attacks are considered inappropriate and generally will get deleted. I generally remove personal attacks independent of whether the subject is a sponsor or not; so please focus on products/services and not the person.

#41     Sep 16, 2005
  2. Rokafella, can you provide some links, info, whatever - on this "Mechanica Pro", and why you think it is that good (and expensive).

Googling it didn't reveal much.

Thanx.

#42     Sep 16, 2005
  3. Murray - I have registered on your website but the .pdf download for the Nasdaq 100 tutorial doesn't seem to be coming through.

Can you check this when you get the chance? Much appreciated as I'd like to have a read.

#43     Sep 16, 2005
  4. You can order Trading Recipes for $2300 at http://www.tradingrecipes.com/order.html .

I really don't understand so many on this site seem to dedicate their efforts to trying to tear someone else down. Anyone who comes in here selling something is almost immediately declared a "snake-oil salesman" and ripped accordingly. Get off the guy's back. He is trying to hawk his wares, but at the same time he is trying to stimulate discussions. There is nothing wrong with this.

He is trying to add value (something that 95% of posters here don't do); if he incorporates his product into the discussion, so what? For some reason, people here seem to get a thrill off tearing down people who are known in the industry. It's kinda sad they have to do this on an annonymous forum (at least Mr. Ruggiero shed his annonymity).

To Mr. Ruggiero, I suggest you make Traders Studio available as a trial. Not many will shell out $500 for a product in development without a test drive. I know I wouldn't.

#44     Sep 16, 2005
  5. that is not TR for windows. Do your homework next time.
    And what would it matter if I was not anonymous? His track record (or lack of one) is a plain as day for everyone to see. That is a fact. I've already wasted enough time on this forum... buyer beware. Do your own dd and live with your decisions.

#45     Sep 16, 2005
  6. I agree. I never bought any of his systems, but I did always read his articles in Futures Magazine with interest. I got lots of ideas from them.

I mean, come on... why do people expect the world of other people? I never read Murray's articles and said "OK, now I'm going to apply all my trading capital on his technique" and then get disappointed that it wasn't a crystal ball. If you think there are any foolproof trading systems out there, you are kidding yourself. There are good systems and bad systems, but no system can possibly work all the time.

#46     Sep 16, 2005
  7. So you want to learn from someone that has a poor track record of making his own ideas work? If he can't build profitable systems and he's the teacher then what's the point? Are you that bored that you need to read his posts? I don't get you guys.
    You guys sure don't know when to cut your losses. I'm starting to think I'm on the wrong side here. I think I will buy his software and start pushing my systems too. That's were the ez money is.
    My first system is going to be named in honour of all of you sheep. It's called bendover. I've decide to name its update bendover-MOR. PM me if you are interested.

Selling snake oil might not be so bad after all.... bu wa ha ha ha!
    Rok

#47     Sep 16, 2005
  8. Ok, since this thread had potential but has now become a defamation thread, I suppose I should try to get things back on track.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the basket concept. I think it depends on the timeframe used. If you are using intraday data, making a system universal is practically impossible. The intraday movement of cattle is different than that of crude or the 10 yr. One of the assumptions of a basket approach is the markets are at least somewhat homogenous (commonly argued that one cannot tell the difference between market actions; this is discussed in Bruce Babcock's boot on trading systems). I think this may have held some validity in the past, but no there is a huge difference between the movements in the traditional pit markets vs the electronic ones.

My simple solution is to break optimization down by sector. For instance, equity indexes are lumped, as are grains, energy, etc. Most of my stuff is of shorter duration. The swing setups in beans are definately different than those in the S&P.

A while back I did a study on the opening range of about 10 different futures markets to determine the optimal range timeframe. In commodities, the range of the first 1/3 of the day was very significant, but this did not hold for the indexes. In my opinion, if the pre-development shows large differences in market behaviors, then these differences should be recognized in the development phase.

I suppose my point is this: optimizing to the type of market is not necessarily over-optimization. If there is a definate quantifiable difference from market to market or sector to sector, then this difference should be taken into account.

#48     Sep 16, 2005
  9. If you pay Baron for the right, then go right ahead. I don't think anyone here is saying Mr. Ruggiero is a guru. But he is well known and at least somewhat respected in the industry. He's selling software to test systems here, not systems themselves. Do you think Bill Cruz is a system design guru? Probably not, but I think his software is about the best compromise available for ease of use and power. His personal abilities are irrelevant.

Personally, I would welcome a Tradestation alternative, which is what I gather Traders Studio is aimed to be. I have used Amibroker, Neoticker, Wealth Lab, and a few others and they all fall short of Tradestation, even with all of its flaws. Hopefully Traders Studio can remove these flaws and retain the power. Portfolio testing is the major omission from Tradestation, at least Traders Studio has that.

P.S. Considering 10% of your post history is defaming Mr. Ruggiero, I gather you have a personal beef with him. A thread on portfolio testing is no place to bitch about poor performance of a commercial system.

P.P.S In my experience, failure is a better teacher than success. Just because a person has struggled in the past does not mean he is still struggling, or that he is incompetent.

#49     Sep 16, 2005
  10. bombarq

bombarq

i have a question:

If the crude oil has traded significantly higher when US markets are closed, you can expect US oil stocks to trade higher

Is there a similar parameter for US steel and coal stocks? Are they anyway correlated to some commodity or foreign index or sth else?

#50     Nov 22, 2005