Developers building their way up to traders

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, Oct 14, 2017.

1. qlai

qlai

Wrong border, but still nothing to be proud of.

#51     Nov 13, 2018
  2. I bet you wrote this just so you can say "self-fulfilling prophecy", that sounds so cool! I would have done it too in your place so I guess .. guilty as charged!

That's as true as the protestant mentality of "it's the poor's fault for being poor". Along the strong belief lines of "if you've a problem, just pray to God and you'll get help, but you must really really believe in God". Or "buy this snake oil medicine and it'll cure you, but you must not disempower your belief into it's power of helping you". Now, if by sheer luck plus a lot of hard work I'm getting the problem solved / disease cured, then it was God / guy who knows how slaves should be doing. If I don't get my problem solved though, I didn't pray or believe hard enough or I die (almost did a few times and I'm not feeling that super well as a result of that). If I'm quitting my job and not get another one (which subjects me to the same slavery conditions as my former one, plus the penalty of having my skill level reset to "unqualified" - the default functioning mode for IT), then I have some 6m to 1.5y of runway before me plus my wife + kid become homeless. Now if it were just me, I'd be having a lot more runway, plus what's such a big deal to be homeless as long as you're overly confident you can bounce back? I've spoken to local homeless people when I was drunk (my most vulnerable moment) and far from hurting me, they were the only ones that protected me 100% of the times. Without robbing, beating or otherwise harming me in any way. So worst case if I end up like them, I just hope their kindness to me wasn't too caused by the obvious contrast in "billionaire walking the streets".

I am shifting positional perspective with an employer, just more of a homeless than a billionaire one. Think of me as a homeless employer trying to employ his way out of misery. I offered money ($1000 / month) and was laughed at. My homeless friends, sometimes I only bought them some crappy junk food and obviously didn't say that saved their life.. unless I could do that recurringly, for a long time. Well, $1000 buys a lot of crappy junk food but as you're saying, you gotta see the other end of the story as well. I'm paying a lot of money for my place and unfortunately, there's also a helluva more where these come from and also from where I want to be. And just not sure buying some meals or just being friendly to some otherwise nice guys would be worth my investment. Unless it's at least these money for a long, long time and it's not them but their children. I've talked to some of their children on the phone and at least a few of them migh be recoverable (for my get-out-of-this-galaxy purposes). Anyways, nobody's gonna do it for me or like they say in trading, they'd have done this already.

I'm not a coder. Therefore your logic is invalidated from the start.

#52     Nov 15, 2018
  3. qlai

qlai

This is what I was not sure of. If you are single, it's not so difficult to make changes. If you have family obligations (wife, kids, parents), it's much more difficult. However, in that case, you are NOT "slaving" but being a MAN by providing for your family at the expense of your personal dreams/desires. Most of us are in this situation ... I am. I can't just say, hey I'm going to start trading full time, so just tighten your belts everybody ... fingers crossed! I understand that living in U.S. is different(*much* easier) than living in other parts of the world, but Romania is no Africa either. No one can help you before you help yourself.

"Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark." Zen Proverb.

#53     Nov 15, 2018
  4. Well, I know. I've got guys from Paris attending my math classes, well not Ecole Polytechnique but still pretty sharp and I always get a dismayed look when I ask them about what they think are their career options and they obviously say "work in Paris" or stronger "work in financthiere in Paris", then I show them not my salary (although it's above the average for THEIR location and THEIR chosen field) but how much of a crevasse there is between Europe and America.

Because I very well know #2, risk management logic (making sure I'm not just providing for myself out of a streak of luck but also for my family, employees, nation and what lays beyond) says you'll find me doing #1.

#54     Nov 15, 2018
  5. Sprout

Sprout

My mistake.

In your profile you state you are a software developer and you did start this thread as:

Developers building their way up to traders
    Discussion in 'Programming' started by Aquarians, Oct 14, 2017

What would be your version of valid logic to use from your proclaimed profession, the thread topic and forum it was started within?

#55     Nov 15, 2018

6. Well, challenging logic.

As a result of that I've been beaten shitless by the Romanian Police, although I always believed in the mantra that The Military are the bad guys who can't tell black from white. And I'm as white as caucasianly possible.

#56     Nov 15, 2018
  7. Sprout

Sprout

Your reply and Inspirobot have much in common,...

F20F9588-4DBD-480C-96FB-2AC455BCD52F.jpeg

#57     Nov 15, 2018
  8. Don't worry, almost nobody gets what I'm saying :)

#58     Nov 15, 2018
  9. Change "mental" to "drunk" and now you know.

After a lot of alcohol, I've noticed (the next day) not just that I tend to become incoherent but also that facts start mixing with fantasy. I haven't done drugs but maybe this is sort of what gets referred as "trips"?

For instance, what a coincidence that last days I read two articles:
    - "I Used to Be Homeless—and Here's What Everyone Gets Wrong About It" ( https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/used-homeless-apos-everyone-gets-201049080.html )
    - "Outcry after police shoot African-American security guard 'hero'" ( https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46187460 )

... and my last ramblings (and complete fantasy) are about homeless people and police brutality :D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    #59     Nov 16, 2018
  10. Anyways, I might have figured out a solution to the "vicious circle" problem, which doesn't just affect myself but anyone who hasn't landed the dream job (like 99% of the people).

The solution is better time management and just thought of something I haven't tried yet - if it works then those beers did the trick.

#60     Nov 16, 2018
    qlai likes this.