Detroit

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bond tr4der, Nov 27, 2008.

1. AK100

AK100

Why do Americans seem to love such large houses?

Do you really need a bathroom as big as a squash court? Do you really need a drawing room slightly smaller than a tennis court?

I'm all for living comfortably but 10,000sq or 20,000sq is crazy. I read that Evander Holyfield (before he went broke, lived in a 50,000sq home!)

Methinks that many who live in these types of houses also think they're far too large but then what would everyone say if they lived in a smaller place?

Oh the shock and embarrasment :)

#11     Nov 27, 2008
  2. I agree that these homes are insanely large.

I am building a new home in the spring; one that's LEED Certified. with geothermal heating, R60 insulation, and will be around 2,650 square feet.

My heating/cooling bills should drop by at least 65%. All materials used will be low-volatility and eco-friendly. There will be zoned heating (with two furnaces), a heat pump supplementing the conventional HVAC system and ultra low energy LED lighting used throughout.

Solar is something that simply isn't cost effective in Michigan - yet. The cost of the materials have to come down because we have too many cloud cover days to make it viable now.

Working with a very competent architect, we are able to maximize the efficiency of the house, from both a living area and layout vantage point, and also energy usage one.

The lot overlooks a 105 acre spring fed lake, which is where most of the windows (and energy loss, unfortunately) will be maximized. Even the best windows have glass, and even the most technologically advanced glass is a poor insulator.

The gigantic homes are no longer nearly as desirable or environmentally conscious. They were never needed, per se, but were trophy-like.

#12     Nov 27, 2008
  3. For those of you interested in architecture, let me know.

It is one of the few things in life that effectively, completely gets my mind off of everything stressful (along with soccer).

Lately, I've found the 'cubism' movement interesting, as well as the 'efficiency' designs so popular in Sweden, Finland and Norway.

#13     Nov 27, 2008
  4. I have separate a/c in the ceiling, works better than a/c connected to a furnace using heat ducts.

#14     Nov 27, 2008
  5. It also makes sense because cold air is denser than warm, and sinks.

With a fan, even an ultra low wattage one running constantly during the warmest months, it would be even more efficient.

#15     Nov 27, 2008
  6. I did use stationary glass over awning windows, this way, the view was unencumbered by window screens, I really prefer the ventilation from an awning window and you can leave them open in the rain, they seal tighter against the wind also.

#16     Nov 27, 2008
  7. A lot of the Detroit suburbs are great but thats true Detroit is a shithole. I live in Birmingham & love it.

I cannot say that I know anyone that still lives in the city of Detroit. Everyone that has anything left a long time ago.

Detroit arguably has more class separation than any other major US city due to the ongoing 'disagreements' between white collar & blue collar workers. It has its good & bad parts but its rare to have a large city that has lakes & rural areas within an hour or less of a major city.

Regards,
    Eric

#17     Nov 27, 2008
  8. jtnet

jtnet

i am a trader & i live in birmingham as well. its a nice area with lots of shopping malls and lakes (when its warm) and good places to buy food and meat if you are into cooking.

but as somone in their 20s the night life is nill, some local bars, but most are dives IMO and guy to girl ratio is always horrible. constant sausage parties. i hate the cold too.

#18     Nov 27, 2008
  9. I prefer a 2000sqfeet home with private beach front.

#19     Nov 27, 2008
  10. bidask

bidask

what are property taxes like in michigan and what's the cost of utilities considering there are nasty winters?

#20     Nov 27, 2008