Detroit Radio Station Gives A Lesson To PBS On Ethics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Oct 2, 2008.

1. While PBS squirms under the unfavorable scrutiny Gwen Ifill has brought on it by her pro-Obama book and unprofessional reporting from the republican convention, a detroit radio station showed that at least someone understands journalistic ethics, integrity and what it takes to protect your credibility. No doubt they will be sued and have their license revoked.

Thursday, October 2, 2008
    Radio reporter fired over Obama T-shirt
    George Hunter / The Detroit News
    SOUTHFIELD -- Longtime Metro Detroit radio reporter Karen Dinkins has been fired after wearing a pro-Barack Obama T-shirt while covering a rally for the presidential candidate Sunday at the Detroit Public Library.

Dinkins, who has worked at WWJ (950 AM) for 13 years, acknowledged that the radio station fired her Monday, but she did not elaborate.

"I don't want to comment at this time," she said.

Georgeann Herbert, WWJ's director of programming, said in a statement that Dinkins compromised the station's objectivity by wearing the T-shirt.

"(The station) believes that our credibility with our listeners rests on the independence of our newsroom staff," the statement said. "WWJ does not favor any candidate, party or issue.

"While we encourage employees to exercise their rights as citizens, we expect them to be on guard against any actual or perceived conflict of interest when covering news stories," the statement said.

2. It is said that many people in the South don't like Sherman for his scorched earth policy during his Atlanta campaign. That being said I frequently find myself desiring to do the same to modern day red necks in the USA.

3. Bravo!

If more people had guts like this in the media then we might actually start a trend to real jounalism and fair reporting. Of course like you said this will likely generate a huge consitutional law/employment suit!

Thanks for posting.

4. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm sure your feelings are reciprocated.

5. We're a little busy enjoying life to stop and mess with you today sonny, come back some other time.. oh, and yeah, bring some beer money and some women with you, fair 'nough??