Detecting stuck quotes automatically

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by stephencrowley, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Steph,
    To be more precise, for each incoming data item, trade, bid or ask I record the time of my local clock (millisecond resolution). It is on this basis that I monitor the feeds being alive. To detect a stuck symbol turns out to be difficult due to the greater variability between issues. Making the trigger interval long enough makes it easier but increases your reaction time.

Lumping many symbols together in order to ascertain the liveness of the data source and/or communication channel is more straightforward.

#11     Jan 25, 2006
  2. The exchange time stamps are at millisecond level. Like your system, I have my own pub/sub bus, so I aggregate the exchange timestamp, my own feedhandler timestamp, the admin module timestamp, and feed from a network latency monitor. Then the system compares the differences with a static model, to see if it is "far" out, and alert if it is. Since I have my lines to the exchanges, dedicated feedhandler (hw and sw), my latency is in a very tight range 98-99% of the time.

Of course, I do a similar level of measurement on my orders, just to be safe.

#12     Jan 25, 2006
  3. Yeah, but that only enables you to track excessive delay in transmission. It doesn't enable you to detect a stuck quote. You simply won't be getting any timestamps, neither from the exchange nor local arrival. The problem really is to detect such stuck quote as early as possible. IMHO, you can do this only by monitoring successive arrival times.

#13     Jan 25, 2006
  4. I tend to agree.. there are a few different types of failures.. 2 major ones

1) me to broker
    2) exchange to broker

If the connection to broker is broken, then you wont find out until the socket times out.. which can is usually a very long time (minutes) on most systems. In this case, time between successive quotes would be perfect.. setup some watchdog timer and reset it every time a quote comes in. The watchdog would need to take into account seasonal patterns of activity so it wouldnt generate false alarms in pre/post market hours.

If only one quote source from the exchange to the broker is down then you only need to compare one quote source to the others. This still might need to take into account seasonalities though, but would probably be less of an issue.

#14     Jan 25, 2006
  5. Replying to myself here.. but I just tested my latency and it looks like exchange -> my colo in austin is peaked at 45ms with an average of 60ms. The raw ping time is 40ms.. if i co-locate that should change to peak 5ms and average 15.. seems reasonable to sound alerts if quotes stop coming for more than a second.

#15     Jan 25, 2006
  6. joe_blo

joe_blo

Monitoring arrival latency is ok for detecting lost feeds, but doesn't help detect stuck quotes which are a result of the occasional dropped multicast packet. The quote update never comes, and that 8:45 arca order just sits there, even though the data feed continues to flow.

The solution in a live situation is to try to execute it! After all, crossed market, free money, right? And if the suspect quote remains even after your IOC is sent back, you can clear it from your local book.

#16     Jan 26, 2006
  7. Right.. I was suggesting to monitor the last-update-time of each price level in the book. As you get further away from the best the update frequency should decrease unless some joker is toying around with quotes on completely unrealistic prices.. map this historically and then come up with some trigger that way.

#17     Jan 26, 2006
  8. I've created a pretty robust filter based on the moving standard deviation of the spread.

If the spread suddenly jumps some # of standard deviations away from its moving average then I look at both changes in the bid from the last bid, and the ask and the last ask.

If either jumps by too much then it is simply replaced with its last value.

This looks like its working very well for me so far..

#18     Feb 20, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

The only person that knows what he is talking about, although stuck quotes can happen for more reasons than dropped MC packets.

nitro

#19     Feb 20, 2006
  10. lol. That is definately a good idea. Doesn't help for historical quotes though.

#20     Feb 20, 2006