Dest's "Trade Against a Pro" Trading Challenge

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Dec 1, 2019.

1. .sigma

.sigma

So hes buying/selling certain strikes based off the current vol-figure? And doing it on a daily/weekly basis since this type of strategy doesn't work in the longer-term? Or I could be wrong? I really don't know much about it but its fascinating.

#21     Dec 2, 2019
  2. samuel11

samuel11

Or I could be wrong too

#22     Dec 2, 2019
  3. .sigma

.sigma

I'm pretty sure we're both wrong az fxvk

#23     Dec 2, 2019
  4. He just goes by gut feel and then doubles down when he's right.

#24     Dec 2, 2019
    .sigma likes this.
  5. .sigma

.sigma

Yes indeed, but what gives his gut the feel? #Pause

#25     Dec 2, 2019
  6. I'm sure two or some decades of experience gives one a gut feel. Presumably that's all that machine learning algos do, is try to replicate that gut feel along some axis in a few hours of training.

#26     Dec 2, 2019
  7. .sigma

.sigma

I know experience gives guts feelings, but I'm being more specific.. what exactly does dest see visually on the screen that he says "i'm going to buy/sell this/that".

WHATS THE ENABLER?!?

#27     Dec 2, 2019
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Is this something I can mirror in my paper account or I'll be way too late for it?

#28     Dec 2, 2019
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I was able to navigate around the restrictions via my 2nd home in the United States even though I competed in the prior challenge (with the same restrictions) from Québec, Canada...my home during the winter months because my kids are enrolled in school here during that time period.

I'm not sure why the listed countries are excluded (restricted) but here in Québec...the government puts a lot of restrictions on U.S. companies entering the Québec markets. I don't understand it completely but it is weird and petty in my opinion...language laws, tax issues and many other things designed to protect the French language / heritage from outsiders. :D

Yet, I call it petty because not all of the U.S. is restricted. For example, I get cable channels from Chicago here in Québec via a subscription. Yet, cable channels from Detroit is FREE. :mad:

Its a pain too when ordering stuff from the U.S., many businesses in the U.S. will not ship merchandise here to Québec because the extra duties that they must pay whereas the same merchandise shipped from France do not incur extra duties.

Electronics here are very expensive in comparison to the same products in the U.S. Maybe it all has something to do with NAFTA.

wrbtrader

#29     Dec 2, 2019
    GregorySG9 likes this.
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You use CQG trading platform ?

You may want to check with them about it because they've been heavy handed in prior competitions and they're a sponsor. I've seen their name as sponsors the recent years and they're mention here @ https://www.cmegroup.com/education/trading_challenge/2019-trading-challenge.html

They sponsor the 2018 challenge too as shown in the attached screenshot.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    #30     Dec 2, 2019