dest's overwrite journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taowave

taowave

Sensei,what does 2x1 vol/shares mean in "layman te4ms"....

Are you Miyagi-ing me??

Sincerely,

Grasshopper Tao :)

#31     Jun 11, 2021
    ITM_Latino, destriero and qlai like this.
  2. traider

traider

-2 calls +100 shares

#32     Jun 11, 2021
    Eikfe and ITM_Latino like this.
  3. taowave

taowave

synthetic straddle?..

Lol....thanks bro..

He totally Miyagi-ed me

#33     Jun 11, 2021
    ITM_Latino and destriero like this.
  4. destriero

destriero

I didn't use the term (much) as I often (mostly) go 3x1. Back in a couple hours.

#34     Jun 11, 2021
  5. destriero

destriero

Here's the generic selection process. No vol-modeling. Treat it as though you don't even know the skew figure or ATM vol-line. I do this bc is repeatable by virtually anyone. My wife would be able to generate a plan (in overwrites) if I were to drop dead tomorrow. It's as simple as writing a put/CC.

Stock selection
    Portfolio selection/betas
    Tenors
    Strike selection
    Heuristic/stress

I will be back in a bit with an example in GOOGL from Friday-close.

#35     Jun 12, 2021
  6. destriero

destriero

I will run an optimized portfolio in green text. It's easiest on the eyes when using color on a forum. I won't be answering any questions on the optimized thingy, but it will have its own sheet.

#36     Jun 12, 2021
  7. destriero

destriero

My wife (Steph) likes synthetic straddles (2x1s) as all she needs to know (she's not a vol-gerb) is that the strike is best case PNL on the structure. Sure, vols can explode but I've never seen a 2x1 trade to the strike and lose money. Not in 22 years of doing this shit (OW-specific portfolios). No concern about vols/skews as the stress is simple. Tenor and strike selection are the only inputs.

#37     Jun 12, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  8. destriero

destriero

By "synthetic straddle" I am referring to a true synthetic; 50 shares to one short call (spin 1/2!) or 100 shares to two calls. These are traded OTM and the entire structure is covered when the strike is touched; either by a cover or a natural straddle in forward n-month. I am not recommending shorting against the box (wink wink), in fact, spreading the cover in the natural almost never makes sense as you're adding extrinsic in an amount that will likely exceed any benefits from tax deferral.

#38     Jun 12, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  9. destriero

destriero

Journal alert (sic).

I am going to limit my comments to my journal and threads where I am the OP. I will not be posting to other forums on ET; options/derivatives, pol-forum, etc. So don't expect replies anywhere but here or at my public email address (convexx at gmail).

#39     Jun 12, 2021
  10. traider

traider

It's not humanly possible. You will eventually read something that is so outrageously stupid that you can do nothing but drop everything you are doing and type a reply

#40     Jun 12, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.