Destriero's single-name vola journal (riskarb; atticus; et al)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. destriero

destriero

I consider the GOOG a directional/delta trade. IMO there is an edge in trading a 132 over a 121 fly in the final week of trading (Ddelta/Dtime). I would not allow the position to break into the debit (terminal BE) unless it gapped below. So yeah, I would be out on a touch of 91 in shares.

Edit: I have the nearly identical trade on. I would be out of this 25-body trade on a touch of 87.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    #21     Apr 8, 2018
  2. srinir

srinir

Subscribed. Thx for doing this. Lacked quality content in options or commentary ever since @sle left.

Just a quick question. Since you mentioned TA is out, how are you determining strike selection?
    Looks like for the upper long you are using couple of strike outside of ATM straddle, curious about your short strike selection.

#22     Apr 8, 2018
  3. destriero

destriero

I use TA, but mostly breadth statistics for timing. The body strike equates to my outlook for a likely touch at time.

#23     Apr 8, 2018
    srinir likes this.
  4. destriero

destriero

I also use a backprop NN with some TA inputs; outside/inside days, etc.

#24     Apr 8, 2018
    igr likes this.
  5. That’s what I thought when I saw the GOOG chart. It looks like it’s “choppy” at the bottom of support.

Unrelated question for you... do you have any advice on how to deeply learn about volatility? I feel that I don’t have a good grasp of its effect on positions.

For example, I understood that the MsFT position (specifically this type of trade) will benefit from an increase IV - but don’t we want it to stay as close as possible to 90?

#25     Apr 8, 2018
  6. destriero

destriero

There are plenty of good books. I used to recommend specific books on trading volatility, but recommend a broader approach like Hull's "Derivatives"

#26     Apr 9, 2018
    JamesOptions likes this.
  7. destriero

destriero

Closed ~34.00 mid. Worst mark on the day was 28.00 for 3.5 in heat.

#27     Apr 9, 2018
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Are you long FB?

#28     Apr 9, 2018
  9. destriero

destriero

Did your parents have any human children?

#29     Apr 9, 2018
    AXXXISIGMA likes this.
  10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Huh?
    Just asking your opinion bro. Chill.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    #30     Apr 9, 2018
    AXXXISIGMA and Chubbly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.